Los Angeles News
Orangutan named Minyak dies at Los Angeles Zoo
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 31-year-old male orangutan named Minyak died on Thursday, the Los Angeles Zoo said.
Authorities say Minyak was undergoing a routine checkup for air sacculitis, a condition he's had since infancy, when he went into cardiac and respiratory arrest. Officials say they were unable to resuscitate him.
Minyak first came to the L.A. Zoo in December 2001 from Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta due to his poor health. His condition improved for some time after arriving in the Southland, but his problems resurfaced.
Zoo officials say Minyak underwent a surgery in January 2003 to remove his air sac, which was a groundbreaking operation never before attempted on a mature ape.
Despite his medical issues, Minyak fathered two female baby orangutans, and according to zookeepers, he was extremely cooperative.
animal news, los angeles news
- Echo Park apartment fire kills 2, injures 2
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 29 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- '12 Years a Slave,' 'Hustle' lead Globes noms 53 min ago
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage 7 min ago
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- LA Lakers talk game on Christmas Day
10 min ago
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
22 min ago