Los Angeles News
Orangutan named Minyak dies at Los Angeles Zoo
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 31-year-old male orangutan named Minyak died on Thursday, the Los Angeles Zoo said.
Authorities say Minyak was undergoing a routine checkup for air sacculitis, a condition he's had since infancy, when he went into cardiac and respiratory arrest. Officials say they were unable to resuscitate him.
Minyak first came to the L.A. Zoo in December 2001 from Yerkes Primate Center in Atlanta due to his poor health. His condition improved for some time after arriving in the Southland, but his problems resurfaced.
Zoo officials say Minyak underwent a surgery in January 2003 to remove his air sac, which was a groundbreaking operation never before attempted on a mature ape.
Despite his medical issues, Minyak fathered two female baby orangutans, and according to zookeepers, he was extremely cooperative.
animal news, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 21 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 9 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 27 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis