Los Angeles News
Florence deputy shooting suspects arrested; more could be at large
FLORENCE-GRAHAM, Calif. (KABC) -- Four suspects have been arrested but more could be at large after a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was shot and injured in Florence.
The shooting happened near East 81st Street and Zamora Avenue around 9:30 p.m. Friday. Three deputies with the sheriff's anti-gang unit Operation Safe Streets were trying to detain several individuals when the suspects shot at the deputies.
One deputy was shot in the torso and transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood where he underwent surgery. He was reported in stable condition as of Saturday.
"He's at the local hospital with his loved ones and family," said Nichole Nisheda, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The injured deputy, whose identity was not immediately released, is a 15-year veteran of the sheriff's department and has been with the anti-gang unit for two years.
Nishida said an eight-block area was closed off near the scene of the shooting. No one was let in or out of the area and dozens of residents were left stranded as the extensive manhunt took place overnight.
"We couldn't get through so we just came and parked at the laundromat", said Luz Maria who lives in the Florence area in South Los Angeles.
Most streets have since reopened.
After an exhaustive search that involved over a hundred deputies and law enforcement personnel, four suspects were arrested.
Sheriff's deputies do not know if they have the shooter who wounded the deputy in custody. The exact number of outstanding suspects remains unclear. The only description given of the suspects was that they were African-American males.
Anyone with any information is urged to call Los Angeles County Sheriff's Crimestoppers tip line at (800) 222-TIPS.
gang activity, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, darsha philips
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks 9 min ago
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour