Los Angeles News
Florence deputy shooting suspects arrested; more could be at large
FLORENCE-GRAHAM, Calif. (KABC) -- Four suspects have been arrested but more could be at large after a Los Angeles County sheriff's deputy was shot and injured in Florence.
The shooting happened near East 81st Street and Zamora Avenue around 9:30 p.m. Friday. Three deputies with the sheriff's anti-gang unit Operation Safe Streets were trying to detain several individuals when the suspects shot at the deputies.
One deputy was shot in the torso and transported to St. Francis Medical Center in Lynwood where he underwent surgery. He was reported in stable condition as of Saturday.
"He's at the local hospital with his loved ones and family," said Nichole Nisheda, a spokesperson for the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The injured deputy, whose identity was not immediately released, is a 15-year veteran of the sheriff's department and has been with the anti-gang unit for two years.
Nishida said an eight-block area was closed off near the scene of the shooting. No one was let in or out of the area and dozens of residents were left stranded as the extensive manhunt took place overnight.
"We couldn't get through so we just came and parked at the laundromat", said Luz Maria who lives in the Florence area in South Los Angeles.
Most streets have since reopened.
After an exhaustive search that involved over a hundred deputies and law enforcement personnel, four suspects were arrested.
Sheriff's deputies do not know if they have the shooter who wounded the deputy in custody. The exact number of outstanding suspects remains unclear. The only description given of the suspects was that they were African-American males.
Anyone with any information is urged to call Los Angeles County Sheriff's Crimestoppers tip line at (800) 222-TIPS.
gang activity, shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Stalking arrest in WeHo murder-for-hire case
- Jet aborts takeoff after gear failure in Pa.
- Malaysia plane disappearance deliberate?
- Tweet lands 20-yr-old Los Angeles man in jail 20 min ago
- Lancaster pellet gun vandalism: 3 arrested 6 min ago
- 4 dead in fiery crash in San Bernardino area
- 'Flasher' suspect sought for exposure in OC
- LA inmate escapes hours after sentencing
- SXSW continues in Austin after crash kills 2
- NYC explosion kills 8; rescuers resume search
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Amazon hikes Prime membership to $99 per year
- OTRC: Jennifer Lopez's sexy new music video
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
12 min ago