Los Angeles News
Rain spurs fatal crash in Long Beach; 3 dead
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people were killed in Long Beach near a 405 Freeway overpass after the driver of a Dodge Ram lost control on the wet pavement.
It happened around 6:22 p.m. Saturday on Redondo Boulevard after heavy rainfall caused water to build up quickly on the roadways, making them very slick.
Police say the driver, identified as Mark Martineau, 36, of Seal Beach, was driving northbound on Redondo Avenue when he tried to change lanes. During this maneuver, investigators believe Martineau lost control of his 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 truck's steering as a result of excessive speed for the rainy conditions, spun out, and hit the concrete support pillar for the 405 Freeway overpass.
Martineau was pronounced dead at the scene. The rear passenger who was not wearing his seat belt, identified as Richard McAleavey, 54, of Long Beach, was also pronounced dead at the scene. A third passenger, identified as Terrence Harris, 36, of Long Beach, was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. He later succumbed to his injuries.
Anyone with information regarding this collision was asked to contact Long Beach Police Accident Investigations Detective Richard Birdsall at (562) 570-7355.
accident, car crash, rain, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 37 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Selena Gomez cancels tour dates in Australia