Los Angeles News
Rain spurs fatal crash in Long Beach; 3 dead
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people were killed in Long Beach near a 405 Freeway overpass after the driver of a Dodge Ram lost control on the wet pavement.
It happened around 6:22 p.m. Saturday on Redondo Boulevard after heavy rainfall caused water to build up quickly on the roadways, making them very slick.
Police say the driver, identified as Mark Martineau, 36, of Seal Beach, was driving northbound on Redondo Avenue when he tried to change lanes. During this maneuver, investigators believe Martineau lost control of his 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 truck's steering as a result of excessive speed for the rainy conditions, spun out, and hit the concrete support pillar for the 405 Freeway overpass.
Martineau was pronounced dead at the scene. The rear passenger who was not wearing his seat belt, identified as Richard McAleavey, 54, of Long Beach, was also pronounced dead at the scene. A third passenger, identified as Terrence Harris, 36, of Long Beach, was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. He later succumbed to his injuries.
Anyone with information regarding this collision was asked to contact Long Beach Police Accident Investigations Detective Richard Birdsall at (562) 570-7355.
accident, car crash, rain, los angeles news
- Water main break floods Santa Ana neighborhood 12 min ago
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Bitcoin mystery: CA man denies being creator
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- 2 dead in apparent Long Beach murder-suicide 12 min ago
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- US economy adds 175,000 jobs in February
- Crimean, Russian politicians talk referendum
- abcnews: PA woman charged w/ teen's illegal abortion
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus' Twitter jabs at Katy Perry