Los Angeles News
Rain spurs fatal crash in Long Beach; 3 dead
LONG BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people were killed in Long Beach near a 405 Freeway overpass after the driver of a Dodge Ram lost control on the wet pavement.
It happened around 6:22 p.m. Saturday on Redondo Boulevard after heavy rainfall caused water to build up quickly on the roadways, making them very slick.
Police say the driver, identified as Mark Martineau, 36, of Seal Beach, was driving northbound on Redondo Avenue when he tried to change lanes. During this maneuver, investigators believe Martineau lost control of his 2005 Dodge Ram 1500 truck's steering as a result of excessive speed for the rainy conditions, spun out, and hit the concrete support pillar for the 405 Freeway overpass.
Martineau was pronounced dead at the scene. The rear passenger who was not wearing his seat belt, identified as Richard McAleavey, 54, of Long Beach, was also pronounced dead at the scene. A third passenger, identified as Terrence Harris, 36, of Long Beach, was transported to a local hospital in critical condition. He later succumbed to his injuries.
Anyone with information regarding this collision was asked to contact Long Beach Police Accident Investigations Detective Richard Birdsall at (562) 570-7355.
accident, car crash, rain, los angeles news
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 42 min ago
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario 18 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 19 min ago
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city 4 min ago
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
25 min ago