Los Angeles News
NFL in LA: Pasadena City Council to vote on temporary Rose Bowl use
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- If professional football returns to Los Angeles, some Pasadena leaders want the Rose Bowl to be ready to host games as soon as next season.
The City Council is set to vote Monday on a crucial step that would allow an NFL team to use the stadium temporarily while a permanent stadium is being built. An amendment to the public land ordinance will be discussed.
Farmers Field is ready to break ground as soon as a team commits to playing in Los Angeles, but construction won't be completed for about four years.
The amendment would only allow a team to play at the stadium for a maximum of five years. The current ordinance restricts events that would draw a crowd of 20,000 or more to 12 events a year, and out of those events seven are contractually reserved for UCLA. The amendment would allow up to 13 additional events.
The city sees an economic benefit, bringing in money for Pasadena, the Rose Bowl operator and city merchants. But some residents say popular weekend events already increase traffic and noise and contribute to the loss of popular recreational activities around the Rose Bowl. Many have voiced their concerns in the past, saying they would force a referendum on the amendment should it be enacted.
The 7 p.m. meeting will cover that discussion along with an environmental impact report. All residents are welcome at the meeting to voice their opinions.
pasadena, rose bowl, nfl, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East 40 min ago
- Search widens for missing Malaysian jet
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants
- 'Returnaholics' punished by some retailers
28 min ago
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
21 min ago