Los Angeles News
3 dead in apparent murder-suicide in Torrance
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people have died in what was believed to be a murder-suicide at a high-rise senior citizen complex in Torrance Tuesday.
Authorities say they received calls about the shooting at Golden West Tower at 3510 Maricopa St. just after noon. Officers arrived about a minute later and found three bodies in the lobby.
"Officers arrived at the location and observed three subjects down on the ground in the common area inside the building," said Torrance Police Sgt. Bob Watt.
Watt said it appeared an elderly man had fatally shot two people, and then killed himself. The suspect's name has not been released. Police say he was a resident of the building and was in his 80s.
The two victims were identified only as adult women. They were declared dead at the scene. The relationship between the suspect and the victims was not immediately known.
Alex Galindo, the maintenance supervisor for the Golden West Tower, says the two women worked at the senior center and were very well loved, except by the shooter.
"He hated both women for no reason at all," Galindo said. "It's been going on for a long time."
A handgun was recovered at the scene. A lobby receptionist who witnessed the shooting was being interviewed by officers.
All fourteen floors of the building had been evacuated room by room, but residents have since been allowed to return.
murder, shooting, south bay, los angeles news, rob hayes
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Suspect arrested in South LA teen kidnap, rape
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- SaMo teacher reinstated after subduing student
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- Oakland woman collapses at Coachella, dies
- South Korea ferry captain arrested - Yonhap
- 7.2-magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- abcnews: Workers caught filing false injury claims
- Breast cancer treatment uses extreme heat
- Michaels data breach: 2.6M cards affected
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour