Los Angeles News
3 dead in apparent murder-suicide in Torrance
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people have died in what was believed to be a murder-suicide at a high-rise senior citizen complex in Torrance Tuesday.
Authorities say they received calls about the shooting at Golden West Tower at 3510 Maricopa St. just after noon. Officers arrived about a minute later and found three bodies in the lobby.
"Officers arrived at the location and observed three subjects down on the ground in the common area inside the building," said Torrance Police Sgt. Bob Watt.
Watt said it appeared an elderly man had fatally shot two people, and then killed himself. The suspect's name has not been released. Police say he was a resident of the building and was in his 80s.
The two victims were identified only as adult women. They were declared dead at the scene. The relationship between the suspect and the victims was not immediately known.
Alex Galindo, the maintenance supervisor for the Golden West Tower, says the two women worked at the senior center and were very well loved, except by the shooter.
"He hated both women for no reason at all," Galindo said. "It's been going on for a long time."
A handgun was recovered at the scene. A lobby receptionist who witnessed the shooting was being interviewed by officers.
All fourteen floors of the building had been evacuated room by room, but residents have since been allowed to return.
murder, shooting, south bay, los angeles news, rob hayes
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 6 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 12 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Rain, winds moving across Southern California
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken 46 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Katie Couric's talk show to end this summer
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis