Los Angeles News
3 dead in apparent murder-suicide in Torrance
TORRANCE, Calif. (KABC) -- Three people have died in what was believed to be a murder-suicide at a high-rise senior citizen complex in Torrance Tuesday.
Authorities say they received calls about the shooting at Golden West Tower at 3510 Maricopa St. just after noon. Officers arrived about a minute later and found three bodies in the lobby.
"Officers arrived at the location and observed three subjects down on the ground in the common area inside the building," said Torrance Police Sgt. Bob Watt.
Watt said it appeared an elderly man had fatally shot two people, and then killed himself. The suspect's name has not been released. Police say he was a resident of the building and was in his 80s.
The two victims were identified only as adult women. They were declared dead at the scene. The relationship between the suspect and the victims was not immediately known.
Alex Galindo, the maintenance supervisor for the Golden West Tower, says the two women worked at the senior center and were very well loved, except by the shooter.
"He hated both women for no reason at all," Galindo said. "It's been going on for a long time."
A handgun was recovered at the scene. A lobby receptionist who witnessed the shooting was being interviewed by officers.
All fourteen floors of the building had been evacuated room by room, but residents have since been allowed to return.
murder, shooting, south bay, los angeles news, rob hayes
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests 1 min ago
- Glendora yard dug up in 35-year-old cold case
- Oklahoma tornado victims' names released
- Bear cub breaks into a kitchen in Duarte
- Local police officer accused of child molest
- Van Nuys stabbing victim's family speaks out 52 min ago
- OC sheriff's reserve sergeant found beaten
- UC hospital workers' strike ends after 2 days
- abcnews: New Susan Powell video released
- Teen birth rate: Nearly all states see drop
- Charles Ramsey promised free burgers for life
- 'Hangover' films changed lives of the stars
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'
- Tornado relief drives: More than $211K raised
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
50 min ago