Los Angeles News
Small plane crashes on CSUN campus; 2 hurt
NORTHRIDGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two occupants of a small plane were injured Sunday when their aircraft went down on the California State University, Northridge, campus, authorities said. No buildings or students on campus were in danger.
Authorities said the six-seat, single-engine aircraft attempted to make an emergency landing around 3 p.m. on the school's soccer field after losing power, but went long and then crashed through a chain-link. The plane hit a tree came to rest upside down at Zelzah Avenue and Plummer Street.
Los Angeles city firefighters said a man and woman were removed from the aircraft and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. They were in fair condition. No one on the ground was hurt.
"Fuel was leaking and there were a little bit of flames so I was a little hesitant, but we just put the car on park and ran across the street and tried to help out as fast as we could," said witness Eric Rodriguez.
The Cessna 206, tail No. N5229U, departed from the Northern California city of Novato for John Wayne Airport, according to Ian Gregor, a communications manager for the FAA.
The plane, which was registered to a business in Newport Beach, tried to reach Van Nuys Airport before it went down.
The wreckage was towed away in the night.
airplane, plane crash, school, los angeles news
- Covina home-invasion robbery: girl, man shot 19 min ago
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 24 min ago
- 'Valley Bandit' wanted for 8 bank robberies
- Family settles over Chino school gun accident 52 min ago
- Suspected heist reported, 12 tons of pot found
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- abcnews: Bill Clinton reveals insights from Mandela 24 min ago
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Bob Dylan's guitar sells for nearly $1M
- Billy Joel to perform at the Hollywood Bowl
- OTRC: 'Scandal' season 3 will have 18 episodes