Los Angeles News
Small plane crashes on CSUN campus; 2 hurt
NORTHRIDGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Two occupants of a small plane were injured Sunday when their aircraft went down on the California State University, Northridge, campus, authorities said. No buildings or students on campus were in danger.
Authorities said the six-seat, single-engine aircraft attempted to make an emergency landing around 3 p.m. on the school's soccer field after losing power, but went long and then crashed through a chain-link. The plane hit a tree came to rest upside down at Zelzah Avenue and Plummer Street.
Los Angeles city firefighters said a man and woman were removed from the aircraft and taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. They were in fair condition. No one on the ground was hurt.
"Fuel was leaking and there were a little bit of flames so I was a little hesitant, but we just put the car on park and ran across the street and tried to help out as fast as we could," said witness Eric Rodriguez.
The Cessna 206, tail No. N5229U, departed from the Northern California city of Novato for John Wayne Airport, according to Ian Gregor, a communications manager for the FAA.
The plane, which was registered to a business in Newport Beach, tried to reach Van Nuys Airport before it went down.
The wreckage was towed away in the night.
airplane, plane crash, school, los angeles news
- S. Korea ferry: Evacuation order delayed
- Monterey Park fire engine crash injures 15 51 min ago
- 'X-Men' director accused of sexual assault
- Arsonist sought in San Pedro Elks Lodge fire
- Operation Crossover targets liquor thieves
- Google Glass robbers target Venice resident
- Victim found on 605 Freeway dies of injuries
- Bell corruption: Rizzo gets 12 years in prison
- 'Luger Bandit' bank robbery suspect caught
- Solvang ordnance scare prompts evacuations
- Oscar Pistorius trial: Forensic expert faulted 56 min ago
- abcnews: Missing girls case solved 40 years later
- Jay-Z's Made in America festival announced
- OTRC: Will Arnett files for divorce from Poehler