Los Angeles News
Underground vault blast rattles South LA
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- An explosion in an underground electrical vault rocked a South Los Angeles neighborhood Sunday, breaking several windows.
The blast, which shook around 7 a.m., was so strong a witness reported seeing a manhole cover propel several feet into the air and shoot through the window of a business.
The incident forced the closure of the area near the 4400 block of Slauson Avenue and Angeles Vista Boulevard in the Windsor Hills area of Los Angeles.
Business owners and workers rushed to the scene minutes after the explosion.
"I jumped in the car and ran over here and lo and behold, all my windows are all blown out, windows down the side all blown out," said business owner Robert Brimm. "My next door neighbor, their windows were all blown out."
Despite the damage caused to businesses, owners are grateful the incident occurred on a Sunday instead of during the busy work week where customer traffic is at an all-time high.
Kevin Smiley, a W.H. Sharpening employee, believes the aftermath could have been worse. Smiley says a little girl sits outside on a chair outside of her grandfather's business five days a week. Had the explosion occurred on a weekday, the little girl would have been sitting "right where all the windows caved in."
The Department of Water and Power said the blast was caused by faulty equipment in the vault. Officials also said the problem has been isolated and should not affect customers.
No outages were reported to DWP. No injuries were reported.
explosion, department of water and power, los angeles news, amy powell
- Nursing home shooting murder: Brother arrested 30 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- Holiday crackdown on jaywalking in downtown LA
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case 33 min ago
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- House GOP signal support for budget deal
- abcnews: Woman claws way out of locked bathroom
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- Photos: ABC7 viewers share holiday photos
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Jason Clarke in talks for 'Terminator' reboot 55 min ago
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
57 min ago