Los Angeles News
Accused IE terrorist denied bail in court
RIVERSIDE, Calif. (KABC) -- Bail was denied Monday afternoon for one of four Southern California men accused of plotting a terrorist attack.
Arifeen David Gojali, a 21-year-old Riverside resident, appeared at U.S. District Court in Riverside for a detention hearing. A federal magistrate will consider whether to let him post bond.
Gojali, Ralph Deleon and Miguel Alejandro Santana Vidriales were charged Nov. 16 following an FBI investigation. They are accused, along with alleged ring leader Sohiel Omar Kabir, of planning to go to Afghanistan, join the Taliban and kill U.S. soldiers.
Deleon and Vidriales are being held without bail. Kabir, formerly of Pomona, is in federal custody in his native Afghanistan.
According to the FBI, Vidriales once told an FBI undercover agent in an online conversation that he wanted to commit jihad and expressed interest in a jihadist training camp in Jalalabad, Afghanistan.
Authorities allege Kabir traveled to Afghanistan and communicated with Vidriales and Deleon over the Internet so he could arrange for their travel to join him and meet with his contacts for terror organizations. They later recruited Gojali.
A preliminary hearing is scheduled for next Monday. If convicted, the defendants each face a maximum penalty of 15 years in federal prison.
riverside county, los angeles news
- Boy Scouts vote to accept openly gay boys 35 min ago
- Palmdale boy allegedly tortured; 2 in custody
- LA gang coordinated from Kansas house: arrest
- Jodi Arias sentencing: Judge declares mistrial
- Cold case: Cadaver dog fails to pick up scent 38 min ago
- Citibank in Tarzana robbed; suspects get away
- IE school, parents make push for crosswalk 4 min ago
- 5-acre brush fire burns near Castaic school
- Eric Garcetti meets with Mayor Villaraigosa 6 min ago
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- Okla. tornado cleanup slowed by thunderstorms
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- SI model accepts local teen's prom proposal
- OTRC: Jennifer Aniston plays stripper in 'Millers'