Los Angeles News
Bryan Stow beating: City of San Francisco sue Dodgers for unpaid medical bills
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The city of San Francisco is suing the Dodgers for $1.2 million for unpaid medical bills for Bryan Stow, the Giants fan who was beaten in the Dodger Stadium parking lot on opening day in March 2011.
The 43-year-old Northern California paramedic suffered severe brain damage. After spending a few months in a Los Angeles hospital, Stow was transferred to San Francisco General Hospital. He spent five months there before being transferred to a rehabilitation facility. The amount San Francisco is seeking adds up to what Stow's medical insurance didn't cover.
"The primary argument is providing inadequate security. If they can prove that, then they should be able to collect their damages in terms of what they paid out in terms of medical expense," said Dana Cole, an attorney.
In the court of public opinion, Ann Hattinger says the previous owners of the Dodgers should pay.
"I think McCourt's responsible," said Hattinger. "My husband was there and it was a horrible day. He called three times for security to come and they didn't come, it took them about 15 to 20 minutes."
Another person thinks the court should decide.
"I think it would have to be decided in a courtroom, I would think, it would be the best way," said Eddie Aguilar of Anaheim.
A spokesperson for the Dodgers says the team cannot comment on the matter because of the pending litigation. Meantime, the two defendants charged in the case were in court earlier Tuesday.
Attorneys for Stow's family have filed a $50 million lawsuit against the Dodgers -- that's how much Stow's attorneys estimate will be the cost for his medical care for the rest of his life. The family blames the Dodgers for not providing enough security in the parking lot after the game.
Stow's family says he recently underwent hip surgery to deal with joint pain caused by his injuries. He's expected to undergo more surgeries in the weeks to come.
fight, court case, los angeles dodgers, san francisco giants, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- Baca says special hiring program dismantled
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Anaheim 33 min ago
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- abcnews: Service dog helps girl in surgery
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Target security breach: 40M possibly affected
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis