Los Angeles News
Downey shootings: Suspect pleads not guilty
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man accused in a deadly shooting spree in Downey over a car for sale pleaded not guilty on Wednesday morning.
Jade Douglas Harris, 30, was charged last month with three counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder, three counts of kidnapping for carjacking, three carjacking counts, two kidnapping counts and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
On Oct. 24, Harris allegedly went to a fire extinguisher business after responding to an ad for a Camaro for sale. He had $25,000 cash for the purchase, but when he arrived, the car was not there. Investigators say Harris became enraged and killed two employees at the business.
Harris allegedly forced the wife of one of the shop's owners and her son to take him to their home down the street where the Camaro was located, and then killed the woman and wounded two others at the house.
Harris was arrested two days after the shootings.
The complaint against Harris also includes four special circumstance allegations: murder while lying in wait, murder in the commission of a kidnapping, murder in the commission of a carjacking and killing a witness to a crime. The allegations would make Harris eligible for the death penalty if he is convicted. The District Attorney's Office will not decide whether to seek the death penalty until the case moves closer to trial.
Harris is expected back in court on Dec. 18 when a date will be set for a preliminary hearing.
arrest, shooting, murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Malaysian PM: Jet's disappearance deliberate
- Body found at Anaheim trash recycling center
- 4 kids abducted by parents in Boyle Heights
- Brush fire burns near Gorman by Quail Lake
- OC 'flasher' suspect captured in San Diego
- Pinkberry co-founder sentenced in 2011 beating
- Fatal 210 shooting likely sparked by road rage
- Man who hoarded snakes in OC home charged
- Pistorius photographed in bloodied prosthetics
- abcnews: Baby girl with 2 heads born in India
- Crimea vote won't be recognized by US - Kerry
- Baby gorilla born through rare C-section
- Sailor in iconic WWII kissing photo dies
- OTRC: Jamie Lynn Spears, 22, gets married - report
- Latest weather with Garth Kemp
37 min ago