Los Angeles News
Downey shootings: Suspect pleads not guilty
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A man accused in a deadly shooting spree in Downey over a car for sale pleaded not guilty on Wednesday morning.
Jade Douglas Harris, 30, was charged last month with three counts of murder, two counts of attempted murder, three counts of kidnapping for carjacking, three carjacking counts, two kidnapping counts and one count of possession of a firearm by a felon.
On Oct. 24, Harris allegedly went to a fire extinguisher business after responding to an ad for a Camaro for sale. He had $25,000 cash for the purchase, but when he arrived, the car was not there. Investigators say Harris became enraged and killed two employees at the business.
Harris allegedly forced the wife of one of the shop's owners and her son to take him to their home down the street where the Camaro was located, and then killed the woman and wounded two others at the house.
Harris was arrested two days after the shootings.
The complaint against Harris also includes four special circumstance allegations: murder while lying in wait, murder in the commission of a kidnapping, murder in the commission of a carjacking and killing a witness to a crime. The allegations would make Harris eligible for the death penalty if he is convicted. The District Attorney's Office will not decide whether to seek the death penalty until the case moves closer to trial.
Harris is expected back in court on Dec. 18 when a date will be set for a preliminary hearing.
arrest, shooting, murder, homicide investigation, los angeles news
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- SAG Awards: '12 Years a Slave' leads noms
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate