Los Angeles News
Car mogul Cal Worthington's bitter divorce trial: Closing arguments heard -- Eyewitness News exclusive
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Cal Worthington was the quintessential car salesman, a pitchman who became a fixture on local television. At one point, he owned more than two dozen auto dealerships throughout Southern California. He amassed a fortune and his commercials were nothing if not memorable.
But these days, Worthington isn't on a car lot, he's in a courtroom. The 92-year-old is in the middle of a bitter divorce from his fourth wife, Anna Worthington.
The 41-year-old singer from Iceland filed for divorce back in December 2011, after only eight months of matrimony. Her attorney, Mark Vincent Kaplan, says she is entitled to half of a $3-million mansion in Beverly Hills that Cal Worthington purchased during their short-lived marriage.
"She should be able to receive at least half those proceeds, because it was supposed to be a community loan and on a community obligation," said Kaplan.
But Cal Worthington disagrees. During Thursday's closing arguments in Los Angeles County Superior Court, his attorney, Stephen Kolodny, said Anna Worthington signed a prenuptial agreement, which only entitled her to $30,000 in spousal support.
Kolodny also alleges that the singer took more than $200,000 from accounts she shared with her husband and then diverted the money in private accounts. But Kaplan said his client never had any spending restrictions.
"There was a joint account into which Mr. Worthington placed funds for Mrs. Worthington to use however she wanted to," said Kaplan.
At 92 years old, Cal Worthington says his fans still recognize him and call to him by name. But he admits that the divorce, which has been more than a year in the making, has taken a toll.
"I wouldn't wish this on anybody," he said. "This divorce thing is horrible."
He didn't want to talk about his soon-to-be ex-wife, who refused to grant us an on-camera interview. But the retired car salesman said he is looking forward to putting this chapter of his life in the rearview mirror.
A judge will make a final ruling on the divorce within 90 days.
celebrity, divorce, legal, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Pedestrian hit, killed on I-5 in Downey area 32 min ago
- 2 dead after car plows through SXSW crowd 1 min ago
- NYC explosion kills 7; rescuers resume search
- OC high-speed chase ends in police shooting 24 min ago
- 2 sought for stealing purses at Bell salons
- Indecent exposure suspect sought in Irvine
- Bell trial: Rizzo's sentencing postponed
- Body of man found at Montebello parking lot
- Colorado River Board of CA discusses drought
- Malaysia: No debris at spot on China images
- abcnews: Amazon accused of cheating on free shipping 27 min ago
- Soldier pops out of box, surprises daughter
- Chris Pine arrested for DUI in New Zealand
- OTRC: Kim Kardashian wears sister Kylie's bikini