Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man killed by LAPD in Van Nuys
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Investigators are looking into an incident in Van Nuys, where a police officer shot and killed a man who was holding a woman at knifepoint.
Coroner's officials identified the man as 18-year-old Jeovany Mendoza of Van Nuys.
Police responded to a 911 call at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Saticoy Street and Tobias Avenue. Once on the scene, officers found Mendoza holding the knife to the woman's throat.
After Mendoza refused to drop the weapon, police say one of the officers opened fire, killing him. According to investigators, the woman may have suffered cuts to her hands and throat, but was expected to be OK. Her identity was not immediately released.
No one else was seriously injured.
The circumstances surrounding the initial threat were not immediately known. The case remains under investigation.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, los angeles news
- Storm moves out of SoCal; cold air remains
- OC crash kills 4; alcohol, speed suspected
- US vet Merrill Newman back in CA from NKorea
- Fire hits Loyola Marymount University dorm
- Large sinkhole closes Woodland Hills road
- 87-year-old rescued from OC mobile home fire
- Salvation Army bell-ringer breaks record in IE
- Mandela's family: 'We have lost a great man'
- Pearl Harbor ceremony marks attack anniversary
- abcnews: Alleged cannibal ran hotel w/ grill area
- Stanford beats ASU 38-14 in Pac-12 title game
- Auction features items from Nancy Drew author
- Photos: Jennifer Lopez at March of Dimes event