Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man killed by LAPD in Van Nuys
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Investigators are looking into an incident in Van Nuys, where a police officer shot and killed a man who was holding a woman at knifepoint.
Coroner's officials identified the man as 18-year-old Jeovany Mendoza of Van Nuys.
Police responded to a 911 call at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Saticoy Street and Tobias Avenue. Once on the scene, officers found Mendoza holding the knife to the woman's throat.
After Mendoza refused to drop the weapon, police say one of the officers opened fire, killing him. According to investigators, the woman may have suffered cuts to her hands and throat, but was expected to be OK. Her identity was not immediately released.
No one else was seriously injured.
The circumstances surrounding the initial threat were not immediately known. The case remains under investigation.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, los angeles news
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks