Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man killed by LAPD in Van Nuys
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Investigators are looking into an incident in Van Nuys, where a police officer shot and killed a man who was holding a woman at knifepoint.
Coroner's officials identified the man as 18-year-old Jeovany Mendoza of Van Nuys.
Police responded to a 911 call at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Saticoy Street and Tobias Avenue. Once on the scene, officers found Mendoza holding the knife to the woman's throat.
After Mendoza refused to drop the weapon, police say one of the officers opened fire, killing him. According to investigators, the woman may have suffered cuts to her hands and throat, but was expected to be OK. Her identity was not immediately released.
No one else was seriously injured.
The circumstances surrounding the initial threat were not immediately known. The case remains under investigation.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk 34 min ago
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD 33 min ago
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 57 min ago
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate