Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man killed by LAPD in Van Nuys
VAN NUYS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Investigators are looking into an incident in Van Nuys, where a police officer shot and killed a man who was holding a woman at knifepoint.
Coroner's officials identified the man as 18-year-old Jeovany Mendoza of Van Nuys.
Police responded to a 911 call at about 8:30 p.m. Saturday near Saticoy Street and Tobias Avenue. Once on the scene, officers found Mendoza holding the knife to the woman's throat.
After Mendoza refused to drop the weapon, police say one of the officers opened fire, killing him. According to investigators, the woman may have suffered cuts to her hands and throat, but was expected to be OK. Her identity was not immediately released.
No one else was seriously injured.
The circumstances surrounding the initial threat were not immediately known. The case remains under investigation.
City News Service contributed to this report.
officer-involved shooting, lapd, los angeles news
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead 53 min ago
- North Hollywood hit-and-run driver sought 16 min ago
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Woman fatally struck on 405 Fwy near Torrance 4 min ago
- Orange County carport collapses; no one hurt
- East Hollywood fire: Garage heavily damaged
- Free admission offered to all national parks
- Ohio couple married 70 yrs die 15 hours apart
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- abcnews: Dashcams capture possible meteorite in Russia 18 min ago
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Mickey Rooney buried at Hollywood Forever
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour