Los Angeles News
Santa Monica Nativity scene to be displayed on private property
SANTA MONICA, Calif. (KABC) -- The Santa Monica tradition of Nativity scenes during the Christmas season will continue, but on private property.
Since 1953, the city has allowed a Christmas Nativity scene to be erected in Palisades Park. That ended last year when the city got in the middle of the ongoing dispute between churches and atheists over whether the Nativity scenes belong on public land.
When atheists overwhelmed the city's auction process for display sites, winning 18 of 21 slots and triggering a bitter dispute, the city banned private, unattended displays at the park.
On Thursday, a Los Angeles federal judge dismissed a Christian group's lawsuit to force Santa Monica to reopen spaces for the displays. The decision was expected to be appealed.
The Santa Monica Nativity Scenes Committee said it will move the display to the 2700 block of Ocean Park Boulevard, between Clover Park and 28th Street.
The display will debut Sunday and remain there until after Christmas.
santa monica, los angeles news
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Ventura growers protect crops from freezing
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe
- Sebastian Ridley-Thomas wins special election
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis
- Stolen truck with radioactive load found 14 min ago
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors
- 'Top Gun' woman tapped for Pentagon no. 2 job
- Gabor husband, daughter fight over spending
- Keri Russell's Brooklyn home burglarized
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film