Los Angeles News
Northridge shooting: Homeowner, victims' families speak out
NORTHRIDGE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- The owner of a Northridge boarding home says four people who were found shot outside the residence did not live there.
Owner Yag Dutt Kapil told Eyewitness News on Monday that he doesn't believe the shooting is related to his residence. He also said the victims don't have anything to do with anyone who does live there.
"I don't know what happened," he said. "Where they fought, [why] they came over and died here, I don't know."
The bedridden homeowner said he slept through the shooting during the early morning hours Sunday. Two men and two women were found dead face-down along an outer walkway at the home on the 17400 block of Devonshire Street. What led up to the shooting remains under investigation.
Rolina Calabia told Eyewitness News exclusively that one of the victims is her brother, Robert Calabia, an Eagle Rock resident.
"These people who died, they're just not trash. They have families," said Calabia. "I can't believe my brother is not here anymore. He was always there for me. Why my brother?"
Also asking why is the family of Amanda Ghossein, another victim in the deadly shooting. They said Ghossein has a 1-year-old daughter and was about to celebrate her 25th birthday on Tuesday.
"People need to know that she's a mom, a loving daughter, a sister, a cousin, a niece," said Ghossein's aunt, Ilina Leff.
Authorities say the victims appear to be targeted and this was not a random crime. They say between eight and nine people were inside the residence at the time of the shooting. The boarding house is reportedly unlicensed, and police say they are trying to crackdown on such residences.
The homeowner denies that, saying, "This is not a boarding house. This is a house."
There have been no arrests and no clues about a suspect. Anyone with information is asked to call the Los Angeles Police Department at 1-877-LAPD-24-7.
shooting, murder, los angeles news
- NYC apartment explosion, collapse kills 2 15 min ago
- Gusty winds elevate fire dangers in SoCal
- Mountain lion roams Hollywood Hills - video
- India asked to join hunt for missing plane
- Tanker crash shuts I-5 North lanes in Castaic 10 min ago
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- LA Co. focuses on stormwater capture projects
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins
- CA DMV mulls how to regulate driverless cars
- Wild Colorado chase ends after 3 carjackings
- abcnews: Target thigh gap photo flap sparks outrage
- Elderly man fights off burglar with hammer
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: 'The Big Bang Theory' renewed for 3 seasons
- Unbelievable scenes from Colorado car chase
21 min ago
- Viewer video from East Harlem explosion site
20 min ago