Los Angeles News
LAX project preview reveals new upscale look
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- City officials want to impress the tens of millions of passengers who travel through the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX. On Wednesday morning, they unveiled a $1.5 billion development plan.
The Tom Bradley International Terminal gives the first impression and the last for international travelers flying into Los Angeles. But LAX has not had any major renovations since 1984.
"It is a place that frankly, for a long time, I was a bit embarrassed of," said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
As part of the $4 billion modernization plan to improve Tom Bradley International Terminal, the mayor and Los Angeles World Airports announced plan designed by Westfield to bring more than 60 premier dining and luxury retail shops to the new terminal.
Best known for its local malls, Westfield says they will open new "concept stores" never before seen in an airport. The project includes one of the nation's first Starbucks Evenings, which will offer coffee and alcohol at night.
Travelers will see big global brands like Gucci, Michael Kors and Bvlgari, but there will also be plenty of local brands like Fred Segal, Kitson, along with local restaurants like Chaya, Border Grill and Umami Burger.
"Each international daily nonstop generates $623 million to the L.A. economy. It's an economic engine," Villaraigosa said.
Right now, the focus is on modernizing Bradley International, but airport officials say they want to upgrade some of the domestic terminals as well.
The first phase of the project is scheduled to be completed by spring.
los angeles international airport, shopping, airport news, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train 4 min ago
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- LB mayoral candidate mailer wrongly shows SD
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter
- El Nino watch: Cycle possible next winter
51 min ago