Los Angeles News
LAX project preview reveals new upscale look
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- City officials want to impress the tens of millions of passengers who travel through the Tom Bradley International Terminal at LAX. On Wednesday morning, they unveiled a $1.5 billion development plan.
The Tom Bradley International Terminal gives the first impression and the last for international travelers flying into Los Angeles. But LAX has not had any major renovations since 1984.
"It is a place that frankly, for a long time, I was a bit embarrassed of," said Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa.
As part of the $4 billion modernization plan to improve Tom Bradley International Terminal, the mayor and Los Angeles World Airports announced plan designed by Westfield to bring more than 60 premier dining and luxury retail shops to the new terminal.
Best known for its local malls, Westfield says they will open new "concept stores" never before seen in an airport. The project includes one of the nation's first Starbucks Evenings, which will offer coffee and alcohol at night.
Travelers will see big global brands like Gucci, Michael Kors and Bvlgari, but there will also be plenty of local brands like Fred Segal, Kitson, along with local restaurants like Chaya, Border Grill and Umami Burger.
"Each international daily nonstop generates $623 million to the L.A. economy. It's an economic engine," Villaraigosa said.
Right now, the focus is on modernizing Bradley International, but airport officials say they want to upgrade some of the domestic terminals as well.
The first phase of the project is scheduled to be completed by spring.
los angeles international airport, shopping, airport news, los angeles news, christina salvo
- Southland seeing cold temps, windy conditions
- Body of woman found on 5 Freeway in Santa Ana
- Car rally held in honor of actor Paul Walker
- Nelson Mandela remembered at South LA church
- Cyclist killed in crash w/ sheriff patrol car
- Small plane lands on 241 toll road in OC
- Man found dead inside Palmdale apartment
- IE shooting leaves 18-year-old man dead
- abcnews: Campus cop fatally shoots Texas student 36 min ago
- Icy storm persists, disrupts travel in east US
- Ukraine sees largest anti-govt protest since 2004
- Kobe returns, but Raptors beat Lakers 106-94
- 'Frozen' tops box office in its 2nd week
- OTRC: Susan Boyle's Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis