Los Angeles News
Lancaster pursuit-crash kills 2-year-old girl, seriously injures mother
LANCASTER, Calif. (KABC) -- A 2-year-old girl was killed and her mom seriously injured when their car was hit by a pursuit suspect in Lancaster.
Investigators say the suspect, identified as 45-year-old Marvin Travon Hicks of Palmdale, was on the wrong side of the street when the crash happened near 10th Street West and Avenue I shortly before 5 p.m. Thursday.
Sheriff's investigators say the chase began when Hicks failed to pull over after running a red light on Sierra Highway. Authorities say deputies chased Hicks' black Toyota, which ran multiple red lights, at times even heading the wrong way, and going at speeds of up to 100 mph.
Hicks was driving west on Avenue I when he struck the victims' Lexus as it headed north on 10th Street West. Both cars were totaled.
The girl, Madison, and her mother Tina Brentlinger Ruano, and Hicks were all transported to Antelope Valley Hospital, where Madison later died. Ruano remained hospitalized as of midday Friday but was expected to make a full recovery.
Ruano's friend said she's heartbroken over the news.
"They moved in when she was pregnant with Madison and our babies were both due in December. Madison came early. She's a little miracle baby. They fought to get her here, that's for sure. Some things don't make any sense at all," said the friend.
Hicks was released from the hospital and sent to jail to be held on $1 million bond. He faces felony charges of fleeing police and vehicular manslaughter. According to police records, Hicks was arrested for reckless driving and driving under the influence in 1995. He was also charged with hit-and-run in 2005.
Officials said it was not immediately clear if drugs or alcohol were involved in the collision. Local residents placed flowers, balloons and stuffed animals at the scene of the crash in a makeshift memorial.
pursuit, antelope valley, car chase, car crash, los angeles news
- Vandals break in, trash church in Palmdale
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- Greuel, Garcetti rally for undecided voters
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Suspect killed in Alhambra PD station ID'ed
- Deputies shoot, kill armed man during fight
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Frazier Park fire almost fully contained 24 min ago
- Obama addresses Morehouse College graduates 18 min ago
- Damaged trains being removed from Conn. site
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- SKorea: NKorea fires 3 short-range missiles
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1 in OT of Game 3
- OTRC: Kelly Rowland in talks to be 'X Factor' judge