Los Angeles News
Henry's Tacos closing after 51 years
STUDIO CITY, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- At the corner of Moorpark Street and Tujunga Avenue in Studio City stands Henry's Tacos, a place many locals consider a historical landmark. The taco stand has been a mainstay in the community for more than 50 years.
"You've been in neighborhoods throughout your life and there have been eateries that come and go. Some place like this, the flavor is the same as it was the first time I bit into a bean-rice burrito probably in 1973."
Janis Hood's grandparents started the business in 1961. Hood took over some years ago and has now decided she must close the popular taco stand, likely by Dec. 31.
Hood said she had been working with the owner of the property to renew her lease, but things took a bad turn when she petitioned the Los Angeles Cultural Heritage Commission to consider her family's business a historical landmark.
"They sent it to the City Council saying, 'Oh yeah, five to nothing we want this place.' Landlord went ballistic, so wouldn't renew my lease."
Hood said the City Council never voted on whether the business should indeed become a historical landmark.
The property owner did not return calls seeking comment.
Hood said outside of selling the business she has decided she has no choice but to close it.
"Come on, man. This country needs a revolution. It should start on this street corner, Tujunga and Moorpark. Save Henry's. Save the cheap taco," said one customer.
food, los angeles news, leo stallworth
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks