Los Angeles News
Newborn found dead at waste collection facility in City of Industry
CITY OF INDUSTRY, Calif. (KABC) -- The body of a newborn girl was found at a waste collection facility in the City of Industry. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is investigating how she ended up there.
An autopsy is pending to determine if the baby was stillborn or if she was alive and dumped after birth. Detectives say the baby appeared to be full term and in good health when the body was found.
A worker discovered the baby's body just before 2 p.m. Monday on a conveyer belt at Athens Services, located on the 14000 block of Valley Boulevard. The baby, identified by authorities as Jane Doe #83, was declared dead at the scene.
Athens Services is a trash collection and recycling company that has contracts with a number of communities in the Los Angeles area. The trash the baby was found in had been collected on Monday from various areas around the San Gabriel Valley.
"Athens Services is saddened by the tragic discovery on our sort lines yesterday," the company said in a statement. "Athens immediately contacted the sheriff's department. We are also making grief counseling available to any of our team members who may be traumatized by yesterday's discovery."
Officials are reminding the public about California's safe surrender program. People can anonymously hand over newborns at hospitals or fire stations if the baby is 3 days old or younger.
"It is encouraged that people would drop their infants off ... at those locations for the safety of their child. This is a tragic incident that shouldn't have to occur," said Aura Lidman with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information was asked to contact the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body found, los angeles news, darsha philips
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 27 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 5 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 49 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 53 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 55 min ago
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour