Los Angeles News
Newborn found dead at waste collection facility in City of Industry
CITY OF INDUSTRY, Calif. (KABC) -- The body of a newborn girl was found at a waste collection facility in the City of Industry. The Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department is investigating how she ended up there.
An autopsy is pending to determine if the baby was stillborn or if she was alive and dumped after birth. Detectives say the baby appeared to be full term and in good health when the body was found.
A worker discovered the baby's body just before 2 p.m. Monday on a conveyer belt at Athens Services, located on the 14000 block of Valley Boulevard. The baby, identified by authorities as Jane Doe #83, was declared dead at the scene.
Athens Services is a trash collection and recycling company that has contracts with a number of communities in the Los Angeles area. The trash the baby was found in had been collected on Monday from various areas around the San Gabriel Valley.
"Athens Services is saddened by the tragic discovery on our sort lines yesterday," the company said in a statement. "Athens immediately contacted the sheriff's department. We are also making grief counseling available to any of our team members who may be traumatized by yesterday's discovery."
Officials are reminding the public about California's safe surrender program. People can anonymously hand over newborns at hospitals or fire stations if the baby is 3 days old or younger.
"It is encouraged that people would drop their infants off ... at those locations for the safety of their child. This is a tragic incident that shouldn't have to occur," said Aura Lidman with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information was asked to contact the Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
body found, los angeles news, darsha philips
- Multi-vehicle crash shuts down 405 South 25 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released 8 min ago
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover 11 min ago
- Fatal Baldwin Village fire deemed accident
- Mom sought for abducting 3 kids in Palmdale
- Boy, 7, dies following Mid-City shooting
- Human skeletal remains found in Montebello
- Simi Valley neighbors found dead in front yards
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- abcnews: 2 skydivers killed in AZ midair collision
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- Baby falls out of stroller in wild robbery
- USC football coach Sarkisian takes helm
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson new Christmas music video