Los Angeles News
$50K reward to find man who shot teen in face
SOUTH LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 14-year-old girl is on life support after being shot in the face during a botched robbery. Police say she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Two musicians came to where the shooting occurred to sing a song for the young victim. It was an outpouring of love and support for the family.
The shooting happened Sunday at about 1:20 a.m. on Vernon Avenue near Central Avenue. Police say Jessica Garcia and several of her friends had been to a family party. When Garcia's parents were late picking them up, they decided to walk home.
"Her group was targeted and she was shot," said LAPD Det. Leonardo McKenzie.
Police say the suspect came up from behind and surprised the group. At that moment, Jessica tried to intervene.
"They were approached by a group of male Hispanics. One of the males attempted to rob one of Jessica's friends. Jessica intervened and attempted to stop the robbery, at which point she was shot in the face," McKenzie said.
The suspect was described as a male Hispanic, 18 to 25 years old, about 5 feet 5 inches to 5 feet 7 inches, weighing about 120 pounds. He was last seen wearing a dark-hooded sweatshirt with dark pants.
Councilwoman Jan Perry's office authorized a $50,000 reward for information that leads to an arrest. Police are hoping the reward will lead them to the gunman.
Anyone with information is asked to call LAPD detectives at (877) LAPD-24-7.
south los angeles, shooting, lapd, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Burglary suspects sexually assault woman
- Sex offender arrested for sex with minor
- Boy brings loaded gun to Garden Grove school
- NYPD Twitter backlash spreads to LAPD
- Man tries to lure Culver City girl into car
- TSA responds to case on disabled LAX passenger
- $20K reward offered in unsolved Compton murder
- Man found dead outside fumigated OC house
- South Korea ferry death toll reaches 156
- abcnews: McCann probers focus on child sex attacker
- 6.7-mag. quake off British Columbia coast
- 'Bachelorette' contestant dies in accident
- Jay Z, Beyonce Rose Bowl concert approved
- OTRC: Jodie Foster weds partner Alexandra Hedison