Los Angeles News
Video released to catch 'job app bandit'
BURBANK, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are hoping surveillance video will help nap a serial robber that they have dubbed the "job app bandit."
The suspect, tied to nine robberies, was caught on surveillance video during a recent robbery at a Subway restaurant. Police say in most of his robberies, the suspect waits until it's nearly closing time and then walks up to the clerk.
"He asks for either a job application or a glass of water," according to LAPD Det. Tom Thornton. "Once he receives the items, he then proceeds to commit a robbery."
In the video, authorities say he is seen threatening the clerk while reportedly demanding money.
"At this point, I believe he's asking for access to the safe, you can see him arguing," said Det. Thornton. "He pulls up the right side of his sweatshirt and shows what I believe to be a hand gun."
Most of the robberies have occurred at Starbucks or Subway restaurants in the west San Fernando Valley, on or near Ventura Boulevard.
A Starbucks customer found it frightening to think that the suspect might actually use the weapon.
"They don't need to be worried about trying to get an application and people thinking they're trying to rob the place," said Chris Tucker referring to the clerks. "That's pretty low."
The "job app bandit" is described as a black male between 20 to 30 years old, standing between 5 feet 4 inches and 5 feet 8 inches, and weighing 140 to 160 pounds. He was last seen wearing a Raiders cap and dark rimmed glasses.
Surveillance video caught the suspect brandishing a hand gun. While police say he's only shown the gun, authorities are interested in arresting him before he strikes again.
"Anytime somebody has a weapon or anytime somebody is committing a robbery of any type, especially in locations like this, there's always going to be a propensity for violence," said Det. Thornton.
robbery, caught on tape, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home 1 min ago
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- Malaysia missing jet: 'Every angle' probed
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- abcnews: Dog helps Army vet overcome PTSD
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks