Los Angeles News
No charges against man for threats against LA schools
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- No charges will be filed against the 24-year-old Pomona man who allegedly made threats against Los Angeles elementary schools.
Kyle Bangayan was taken into custody at his parents' Los Angeles apartment in the Little Armenia area on Sunday at about 11 a.m. The LAPD and the FBI responded to threats that Bangayan allegedly posted on Facebook using an alias.
Police say he threatened to carry out shootings at multiple elementary schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District while referencing the massacre in Connecticut.
"He was clear in his statements, and his abilities matched those statements," said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck during a news conference.
But according to a spokesman for the district attorney's office, the charges were declined because there was no specific threat to a victim or school. The FBI also decided not to pursue the case either.
At the apartment, authorities found nine firearms, including rifles, handguns and a shotgun, along with ammunition. It was unclear whether the weapons were purchased legally or who they were registered to.
Chief Beck said Los Angeles police would begin being present every day at every elementary and middle school in the city.
lausd, security, school, los angeles news
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon 4 min ago
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 27 min ago
- Lead found in soil at homes, school in Vernon 15 min ago
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- CIA improperly searched network, says senator
- Japan tsunami disasters: 3rd anniversary
- Pistorius shot gun out car sunroof - friend 53 min ago
- Men's Wearhouse buys Jos. A. Bank for $1.8M
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- OTRC: Taylor Swift: Billboard's No. 1 money maker 7 min ago
- New technology monitors pet fitness
38 min ago