Los Angeles News
No charges against man for threats against LA schools
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- No charges will be filed against the 24-year-old Pomona man who allegedly made threats against Los Angeles elementary schools.
Kyle Bangayan was taken into custody at his parents' Los Angeles apartment in the Little Armenia area on Sunday at about 11 a.m. The LAPD and the FBI responded to threats that Bangayan allegedly posted on Facebook using an alias.
Police say he threatened to carry out shootings at multiple elementary schools in the Los Angeles Unified School District while referencing the massacre in Connecticut.
"He was clear in his statements, and his abilities matched those statements," said LAPD Chief Charlie Beck during a news conference.
But according to a spokesman for the district attorney's office, the charges were declined because there was no specific threat to a victim or school. The FBI also decided not to pursue the case either.
At the apartment, authorities found nine firearms, including rifles, handguns and a shotgun, along with ammunition. It was unclear whether the weapons were purchased legally or who they were registered to.
Chief Beck said Los Angeles police would begin being present every day at every elementary and middle school in the city.
lausd, security, school, los angeles news
- NASA: Cooling pump on space station shuts down 23 min ago
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Disabled councilman knocked out in Devore crash
- Mansion party arrests: Teens post pics online
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena 39 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- 'Button-down Bandit' arrested after pursuit 49 min ago
- Prisoner reduction deadline pushed to April
- 1 dead in small plane crash off Molokai, Hawaii
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies
- Moving while sitting can prevent back pain
- Mega Millions jackpot soars to $400 million
- OTRC: Idina Menzel and Taye Diggs separate
- Longest Rose Parade float goes for test drive
33 min ago