Los Angeles News
Mental competency exam ordered for man accused of making bomb threats against LA temple
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Criminal proceedings against a man charged with making bomb threats against a Los Angeles temple and a police car were suspended Thursday, with the judge ordering the man to be sent for a mental competency examination.
Before an outburst in court, Wan Ryung Song, 46, was set to be arraigned on bomb threats and vandalizing religious property. He began making profane comments about Jewish people and the U.S.
Song was arrested Wednesday, a day after an LAPD bomb squad responded to two anonymous calls about a suspicious package near a police car outside the Wilshire Boulevard Temple, located at 3633 Wilshire Boulevard. In the end, no explosives were found.
Detectives subsequently traced the phone calls to a nearby pay phone at the Hyun Dae Health Spa, located a couple blocks away from the scene. Song was identified as the perpetrator of the bomb threats.
Investigators later learned the suspect had previously been accused of defacing the Jewish synagogue with Nazi swastikas and corresponding anti-Semitic rant on Dec. 6.
He now faces four felony counts of making malicious false bomb reports and vandalism of religious property. All five counts were charged as hate crimes.
Song is being held in lieu of $170,000 bail.
arrest, koreatown, los angeles news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 49 min ago
- Man shot to death in Boston bombing probe
- Bear roams around Shadow Hills neighborhood 55 min ago
- ABC7 relief drive for Okla. tornado victims
- Injured volunteer wants thousands from hiker 8 min ago
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- Big rig, truck collide in Pomona; 2 killed
- Body positively identified as missing hiker 43 min ago
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- abcnews: Cleveland kidnap victims 'happy and safe'
- Oklahoma tornado damage could top $2 billion
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- PHOTOS: 'Dancing With The Stars' finale