Los Angeles News
Southland schools deal with security threats
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- Southern California students and parents were on edge Friday after a flurry of unsubstantiated threats against schools. At least five Southland schools dealt with security threats on their last day before winter break.
A threatening call at Diamond Ranch High School in Pomona forced the school to go on lockdown. The school received the call at about 9:15 a.m. Authorities say they don't believe there is a credible threat, but because the call came in during the school day, there was a larger law enforcement response.
A number of nervous parents gathered outside the school. Jackie Cavallini said she got a call from her daughter saying the school had been shut down.
"Basically that they didn't know what was going on, and then I got a text message from her telling me that it was a bomb threat and a gun threat, and that they've been moved to the library," she said.
It turns out the threatening phone call was a hoax. After searching every classroom, sheriff's deputies determined there was no danger, and students were dismissed at their normal time.
Students at Diamond Ranch High were supposed to take finals, but those exams will have to be rescheduled. Authorities say they can't take any chances, even if the threats are disruptive.
About 20 miles away, students at La Mirada High School saw an increased presence of sheriff's deputies on campus because in the past 72 hours, the sheriff's department received reports of an unspecified threat against the campus.
On Thursday night, there was a threat of gun violence at South Pasadena High School. Officials responded with extra police presence on campus the next day.
school, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Deputies gun down armed man during fight 56 min ago
- Loot-seeking vandals trash Palmdale church 7 min ago
- Calif. law takes effect on microstamping guns
- Machete-wielding man shot by Inglewood police
- 1 arrested, 2 outstanding after VC pursuit
- IE woman punches officer, tries to take Taser
- Deputies rescue stranded Swedish family
- Body found near area where hiker went missing
- Deaf Yorkie held for ransom is back home
- Tornadoes sweep across Kansas and Oklahoma
- abcnews: 1st lady jokes about president's failures
- Beckham in tears as he bids farewell to Paris
- 'Star Trek' tops box office with $70.6M debut
- OTRC: Billboard Music Awards 2013 nominees list
- Latest weather with Danny Romero
3 min ago