Los Angeles News
Southland schools deal with security threats
POMONA, Calif. (KABC) -- Southern California students and parents were on edge Friday after a flurry of unsubstantiated threats against schools. At least five Southland schools dealt with security threats on their last day before winter break.
A threatening call at Diamond Ranch High School in Pomona forced the school to go on lockdown. The school received the call at about 9:15 a.m. Authorities say they don't believe there is a credible threat, but because the call came in during the school day, there was a larger law enforcement response.
A number of nervous parents gathered outside the school. Jackie Cavallini said she got a call from her daughter saying the school had been shut down.
"Basically that they didn't know what was going on, and then I got a text message from her telling me that it was a bomb threat and a gun threat, and that they've been moved to the library," she said.
It turns out the threatening phone call was a hoax. After searching every classroom, sheriff's deputies determined there was no danger, and students were dismissed at their normal time.
Students at Diamond Ranch High were supposed to take finals, but those exams will have to be rescheduled. Authorities say they can't take any chances, even if the threats are disruptive.
About 20 miles away, students at La Mirada High School saw an increased presence of sheriff's deputies on campus because in the past 72 hours, the sheriff's department received reports of an unspecified threat against the campus.
On Thursday night, there was a threat of gun violence at South Pasadena High School. Officials responded with extra police presence on campus the next day.
school, los angeles news, robert holguin
- Car crashes into OC yard; 2 killed, 1 injured
- 6.9-magnitude earthquake hits NorCal coast
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge
- Searchers cannot find object from missing jet
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- 2 SoCal hikers die amid record-breaking heat
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Skydiver collides with plane in Fla.
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks