Los Angeles News
San Pedro suspected thief dubbed 'Grinch'
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- Los Angeles sheriff's deputies uncovered a plethora of stolen goods while investigating a suspected thief they dubbed the "San Pedro Grinch."
While authorities were investigating a package that was stolen from a porch of a Rancho Palos Verdes home, evidence led them to 42-year-old Michael Wieczorek of San Pedro.
Wieczorek was arrested for the Rancho Palos Verdes theft. When he was taken into custody, officials found narcotics, credit cards and identification that did not belong to him.
Authorities say a search of his home turned up stolen jewelry, toys and clothing.
Detectives say some of the stolen items were under Wieczorek's Christmas tree wrapped up as gifts to family members. Deputies said the presents included a pajama set that Wieczorek was going to give to his mother.
Investigators also found stolen Christmas cards, credit card reading devices, counterfeit California driver's licenses, altered checks and fraudulent income tax forms. The evidence led detectives to believe Wieczorek was filing tax returns using various victims' identities so he could steal their tax returns.
Detectives also found a lot of stolen mail from addresses in Rolling Hills Estates, Torrance, Palos Verdes Estates, San Pedro, Los Angeles, Carson, Long Beach, Lakewood, Redlands, Temecula, Auburn, Murrieta and even as far as Bellevue, Wash.
After he was arrested Wednesday, Wieczorek posted $20,000 bond and was ordered to appear in court Jan. 10.
arrest, burglary, christmas, los angeles news
- Echo Park apartment fire deemed suspicious 12 min ago
- Woman in newlywed murder agrees to plea deal
- Sriracha distribution on hold for 30 days 43 min ago
- Las Vegas casino shooting video released
- Arleta deadly road rage suspect identified
- Car slams into Ventura house; driver arrested
- Wife, sister shot in purported mercy killings
- Human remains found in forest above Altadena
- abcnews: Arrowhead Stadium victim's family talks
- Wal-Mart ban stemmed from alleged threat
- Australia rejects law allowing gay marriage
- Bale talks 'Hustle,' 'Out of the Furnace'
- OTRC: Lea Michele talks about Cory Monteith (Video)
- Pet of the Week: 6-yr-old terrier mix Tillie
30 min ago