Los Angeles News
Street racing may have caused fatal crash in West Covina
WEST COVINA, Calif. (KABC) -- One person was killed and another was injured after a two-car collision in West Covina. Authorities say street racing may have been behind the violent crash.
The accident happened around 9 p.m. Tuesday at Lark Ellen and Merced avenues. Police said it appeared a silver Mitsubishi Eclipse had collided with a white Dodge Caravan with two people inside.
The impact caused a 90-year-old female passenger to be ejected from the van. Celia La Torre was declared dead at the scene. Her son, who was driving the van, was hospitalized with head injuries. Police say they were returning home from Queen of the Valley Hospital, where La Torre had just been released.
According to witnesses, the driver of the Eclipse, identified as 30-year-old Vincent Lopez of Rialto, had been racing with a red Ford Escort on Lark Ellen Avenue. Prior to the violent crash, both vehicles failed to stop at a stop sign at Vine Avenue, witnesses said.
Police arrested both Lopez and the driver of the Escort, identified as 34-year-old Victor Hugo Sanchez of Rialto, and booked them for murder. Lopez was also booked for felony DUI. They are being held on $1 million each.
The men are scheduled to appear in West Covina Superior Court on Friday.
car crash, dui, los angeles news
- 2 boys molested at different South Bay parks
- Delivery man fatally shot in South Los Angeles 24 min ago
- LA Times building threat: Man detained by LAPD
- Aide to councilman linked to armed robbery
- Del Taco customers charged thousands for meal 2 min ago
- Man's body found in vehicle in San Bernardino 57 min ago
- FBI seeks '76 murder suspect, possibly in SoCal
- Claremont sexual predator ID'd, arrested
- 4.3-magnitude earthquake strikes Kern County 46 min ago
- Earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea 50 min ago
- abcnews: Eclectic early summer festivals
- SKorean sunken ferry captain, 2 crew arrested 52 min ago
- Katharine McPhee stars in romantic TV film
- OTRC: Miley Cyrus postpones whole tour