Los Angeles News
Pasadena pursuit suspects are gang members - police
PASADENA, Calif. (KABC) -- Pasadena police are still trying to unravel any possible connection between a murder on Christmas morning and a deadly police pursuit on Christmas night.
According to police, a silver SUV ran a stop sign on Marengo Avenue around 8 p.m. Tuesday, so they pursued it. Blocks later, it T-boned a Mazda minivan on Maple Street.
"I just heard this enormous impact. It sounded quite severe," said Pasadena resident Mark Grimm. "I've lived here for quite a while and heard a lot of crashes at this corner and nothing to ever make that noise."
Inside the minivan were a mother, father their two young children and their niece. The 26-year-old niece, Tracey Ong Tan of Glendale, and an 11-year-old boy died in the crash. Everyone else was rushed to the hospital with moderate injuries.
During the pursuit, a loaded firearm was tossed out of the suspects' vehicle.
The suspects were identified as 18-year-old Jayda Mays of Pasadena, 21-year-old Brittany Washington of Los Angeles, 22-year-old Darrell Williams of Pasadena and 22-year-old Damauria Hannah of Pasadena. They were arrested on suspicion of murder, police said. Two were first taken to the hospital to be checked out for moderate injuries.
Police say Williams was the driver, and they are all gang members.
Police were investigating a fatal shooting in the area, so there were extra officers in the area, and those patrols spotted the silver SUV. Investigators are still trying to determine why the group fled from police after simply running a stop sign.
Police remain unsure if the pursuit was related to the fatal shooting earlier in the day in Pasadena. A gun that was thrown from the pursuit vehicle is being examined to see if it can be linked to the shooting.
homicide investigation, shooting, pasadena, pursuit, car crash, los angeles news, carlos granda
- Jameis Winston won't be charged in rape case
- Fast food workers protest, demand $15 an hour 2 min ago
- US teacher killed in Benghazi: officials
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner 36 min ago
- 2 deputies OK after crash on West 105 Freeway
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- The Game raises money for family of slain boy
- Identical triplets born to Sacramento couple 25 min ago
- Idaho school bus crash: 1 child killed, 4 hurt 50 min ago
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- Manhattan Toy Quixel baby rattles recalled
- Banksy 'Flower Girl' could fetch up to $300K
- OTRC: 'The Amazing Spider-Man 2' official trailer
- Holiday headache triggers to watch out for
25 min ago