Los Angeles News
Baby sea lion rescued in Malibu on Christmas
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- A baby sea lion is hopefully on the way to recovery after it was rescued in Malibu on Christmas morning.
Experts believe the yearling climbed up on a rock several days ago and got stuck, appearing thin and bony upon discovery. Rescuers said the lion has a medical issue that has yet to be diagnosed.
Residents became concerned after they realized the sea lion never left, so they called a local rescue organization for help. They responded Tuesday and successfully rescued the pup with no major injuries.
"He'll likely spend New Year's recovering at a hospital. But at least this Christmas, he got the gift of a second chance," said Jeff Hall of the California Wildlife Center.
Hall joked that the mammals are unaware of the holidays, so luckily the rescuers are there 365 days a year to help.
animal news, malibu/pacific palisades, los angeles news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 5 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10