Los Angeles News
Baby sea lion rescued in Malibu on Christmas
MALIBU, Calif. (KABC) -- A baby sea lion is hopefully on the way to recovery after it was rescued in Malibu on Christmas morning.
Experts believe the yearling climbed up on a rock several days ago and got stuck, appearing thin and bony upon discovery. Rescuers said the lion has a medical issue that has yet to be diagnosed.
Residents became concerned after they realized the sea lion never left, so they called a local rescue organization for help. They responded Tuesday and successfully rescued the pup with no major injuries.
"He'll likely spend New Year's recovering at a hospital. But at least this Christmas, he got the gift of a second chance," said Jeff Hall of the California Wildlife Center.
Hall joked that the mammals are unaware of the holidays, so luckily the rescuers are there 365 days a year to help.
animal news, malibu/pacific palisades, los angeles news
- Malaysia Airlines missing jet: Oil slicks found
- LAPD officer recovering after fatal BH crash 17 min ago
- Teen survives 5 Fwy crash, killed by traffic 20 min ago
- 3.2-magnitude earthquake hits Marina del Rey
- Temecula man arrested in drug sales bust
- Pomona man hurt in shooting; suspect sought
- 2 pedestrians struck, killed on Norwalk street
- Westminster deadly car crash: Driver sought
- abcnews: Woman has 'out of body' experience at will
- Bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- New Toyota Highlander carries on legacy 4 min ago
- Sheila MacRae of 'The Honeymooners' dies
- OTRC: Khloe Kardashian topless in first Vine video