Los Angeles News
Burned Ugandan boy receives successful surgery
WEST HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Doctors in Southern California have given a young boy from Uganda the chance walk again after a family member burned him and left him for dead in a street in Uganda.
The smiles come easily for 11-year-old Adolf Baguma. But Wednesday, he has reason to smile even bigger than before.
"The day after Christmas has been able to give us our gift, which is the pleasure of seeing him walk upright for the first time in several years," said Dr. Peter Grossman, Grossman Burn Center.
At 5 years old, Adolf was living in Uganda and was burned by his aunt as a punishment. With no medical attention, the burned skin on his legs fused together, leaving him unable to walk upright.
"Adolf is a survivor," said Grossman.
Thanks to the Grossman Burn Center, Adolf and his guardian were brought to the U.S. in November.
"When we saw the pictures and we contacted Dr. Peter Grossman to look at the pictures, we knew that there was a full life for Adolf once he had the surgery," said Carol Horvitz, executive director of the Children's Burn Foundation.
This month, doctors went to work, performing two surgeries totaling three hours.
"The problem that we faced in surgery was not just the skin, but the shrinkage or the contraction of the muscle and the tendon," said Grossman.
Not even a month after the surgery, Adolf's dreams of playing like a normal child will soon be reality.
"The miracle is done. Adolf started walking, so it is for sure very, very good in our hearts," said Adolf's guardian, Eva Mbazi.
The splints will stay on another week or two and then the plan is to get him into physical therapy to get him strong enough to be able to play soccer and to ride the bike Santa brought him for Christmas.
los angeles news, christina salvo
- Authorities investigate body found in Laguna Hills 39 min ago
- Man burned in fire at Long Beach VA Hospital 34 min ago
- Woman attacked at OC mall parking structure
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Canoga Park 11 min ago
- 12 arrested, $2.5M in drugs seized in sting
- 3 Simi Valley schools face possible shutdown
- Ex-deputy convicted in fatal bar shooting
- House easily approves bipartisan budget bill
- abcnews: Newtown priest speaks out on shooting
- NKorea executes leader's uncle as a traitor
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- Giant lobster caught in Huntington Beach
- Redmond O'Neal testifies in Fawcett art case
- OTRC: Disney Channel film to feature Belle's son