Los Angeles News
Hazmat called to ammonia leak in downtown LA
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Firefighters said they sealed a significant ammonia leak coming from a pipe at a cold storage facility in downtown Los Angeles on Saturday.
Firefighters were dispatched to the area after receiving a call about a strong smell of ammonia. The leak was found on the roof of Los Angeles Cold Storage Co. at 400 S. Central Ave. between 4th and 5th streets.
"We got LAPD on scene to assist us with the evacuation. We cleared about a block in either direction and found out that we did actually have a leak from one of the pipes on the roof," said Battalion Chief Greg Gibson of the Los Angeles Fire Department.
Gibson said a one-block radius was cleared as a precaution and a hazmat crew was called in to close the valve. The area was closed for less than an hour, he said.
There were no immediate reports of damages or injuries.
downtown, los angeles news
- 292 missing, 4 dead in S. Korea ferry disaster
- West Adams fire in converted garage injures 4 37 min ago
- Man found tied up, burned on 605 Freeway
- Boston bombing anniversary disrupted by hoax 14 min ago
- Victim's mother faces murder suspects in court 8 min ago
- State audit: Cudahy must repay $22.7 million
- Murrieta suspect fixated on girls' socks
- Teen caught egging homeless woman in Lancaster
- LA Register newspaper takes on digital age
- First women move into Army combat jobs
- abcnews: Conjoined twins leave Dallas hospital
- Photos: Boston Marathon bombing - 1 year later
- 'Fast & Furious' enlists Paul Walker's brothers
- OTRC: Ice Cube clarifies Paul Walker comments