Los Angeles News
South Bay Galleria stabbings: Victims are both 13
REDONDO BEACH, Calif. (KABC) -- Police say the two minors stabbed at the South Bay Galleria on Saturday are both 13-year-old residents of the South Bay area. Officials did not release their names because they are minors.
The two teens were stabbed by a man with a kitchen-type knife on the third level of the mall in front of the AMC Theatres around 7:20 p.m. Saturday, police said. Their assailant was able to evade police, who contained and searched the mall.
The motive for the stabbing was not clear.
Police said both victims were stabbed in the chest area. They underwent surgery and were in stable condition and being monitored in intensive care.
Their attacker, who remains at large, was described as a 40- to 50-year-old black man with a tall, medium build. He had a beard and a mustache, possibly graying. The suspect's clothing was described as a fatigue-type jacket, possibly green and brown, along with blue jeans, a black T-shirt and a dark-colored beanie. He may have been wearing prescription glasses.
Police were going through surveillance video for more clues. A mall representative released a statement Sunday, saying officials were working closely with police as the investigation continues.
"We were saddened to learn that two teenagers were hurt at South Bay Galleria last night and send our thoughts and prayers to them and their families," said Mickey Marraffino with South Bay Galleria in the statement.
Redondo Beach police asked witnesses to call their tip line at (310) 937-6685.
stabbing, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Rodman in NKorea to prep for basketball game
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant 59 min ago
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis