Los Angeles News
Robbery suspect in custody after North Hills barricade
NORTH HILLS, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A robbery suspect who barricaded himself in a motel in North Hills Friday morning has been taken into custody.
Authorities say the suspect was wanted for forcibly robbing his grandfather three times in the past week. Detectives tracked him down to the Budget Inn Motel in the 9100 block of Sepulveda Boulevard at about 7:45 a.m.
When they knocked on the door, they heard the suspect barricading the door from the inside, and then they heard a shotgun "rack." Detectives backed away from the door and called a SWAT team.
Police say the suspect refused to communicate with police. The motel was evacuated, as well as two other surrounding buildings. Streets in the area were shut down.
The SWAT team fired tear gas into the room, and the suspect immediately came out. He was taken into custody without further incident and was treated for minor injuries.
san fernando valley, blockade, robbery, los angeles news
- Oklahoma tornado: Recovery effort under way 19 min ago
- Undersheriff Tanaka speaks out against Baca
- Garcetti, Greuel make final stops across LA
- 'DWTS': Zendaya holds lead in final four
- LAPD officer accused of lewd acts w/ 2 girls
- 3 charged in bizarre East LA '12 bank robbery
- Video: Pit bull owners rally against discrimination
- Girl escapes brazen kidnap attempt in OC
- UC hospital workers to strike over higher pay
- NKorea on day 3 of short-range weapon launches
- abcnews: Apple CEO defends offshore tax policy
- Experts warn about testosterone supplements
- Ray Manzarek, The Doors founder, dies at 74
- OTRC: 'Dancing With The Stars' recap - week 10