Los Angeles News
Downtown LA night race draws thousands of runners
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Thousands of runners took over the streets of downtown Los Angeles on Saturday for an unusual night race.
The 5K and 1/2 marathon course for the 2013 New Year's Race Los Angeles began at 9 p.m. at 7th Street and Grand Avenue. The finish line was at 11th and Hope streets. The race was capped at 10,000 runners, according to the event website.
"Downtown is beautiful," said one participant. "Running through it at night is spectacular."
The course made its way through the downtown streets, by Dodger Stadium, Chinatown and finally L.A. Live.
"When do you get to be in downtown L.A. in the middle of the night, running the streets with no cars around to hit you?" said runner Jorge Mendoza.
downtown, los angeles news, leanne suter
- First section of new 405 Freeway lane opens
- Fewer travelers expected Memorial Day weekend
- I-5 bridge collapses in Wash.; 3 injured
- Disneyland holding Monstrous 'All-Nighter'
- 405 North crash, fuel spill snarls traffic
- LA gang activity coordinated from Kansas home
- LB regulates loud mufflers w/ electronic sign
- 5.7-magnitude earthquake strikes NorCal city
- Covered California announces 13 health plans
- NASA wants astronauts on asteroid by 2021
- abcnews: NY man rescued after month of alleged torture
- London attack investigation: 2 more arrests
- Amanda Bynes arrested in NYC on pot charge
- OTRC: 'Hangover 3,' 'Fast & Furious 6' film reviews