Los Angeles News
LAX plan to move runway towards Westchester advances
WESTCHESTER, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A public meeting is scheduled to address a proposed construction plan to expand LAX.
The plan calls to build a people mover system inside the airport, relocate access roads, and build concourses and a new terminal.
Los Angeles World Airport officials say the plans also include building a new intermodal transportation terminal along 96th Street.
Urged by the FAA, officials have also included a proposal to shift the airport's northern-most runway farther out. The shift would allow a centerfield taxiway to be added in between the northern two runways. It would also shift most aircraft landings closer to the community of Westchester, which some local residents oppose.
Airport officials say they want to increase the amount of separation between the runways to make them safer and to be able to accommodate new larger airplanes.
Officials will present their environmental plans for the reconfigured airport and ask for comments from the public during the meeting. The meeting is scheduled to take place at the Proud Bird Restaurant, located at 11022 Aviation Boulevard in Westchester around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Comments made at the meeting will be forwarded to the Los Angeles Planning Commission and eventually, the City Council, as they consider the plan.
CNS contributed to this report.
CORRECTION: The meeting was initally reported to take place on Thursday. The meeting is scheduled to be held at the Proud Bird Restaurant around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
los angeles international airport, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela dies in South Africa at age 95
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- Montebello remains are not human - coroner
- IE basketball coach accused of sexual misconduct
- Cold snap moving across Southern California
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle 54 min ago
- Over 2 million Internet accounts hacked
- Oscar Isaac can relate to 'Llewyn Davis'
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate
- Cool Kid raises money for children's hospital
23 min ago