Los Angeles News
LAX plan to move runway towards Westchester advances
WESTCHESTER, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A public meeting is scheduled to address a proposed construction plan to expand LAX.
The plan calls to build a people mover system inside the airport, relocate access roads, and build concourses and a new terminal.
Los Angeles World Airport officials say the plans also include building a new intermodal transportation terminal along 96th Street.
Urged by the FAA, officials have also included a proposal to shift the airport's northern-most runway farther out. The shift would allow a centerfield taxiway to be added in between the northern two runways. It would also shift most aircraft landings closer to the community of Westchester, which some local residents oppose.
Airport officials say they want to increase the amount of separation between the runways to make them safer and to be able to accommodate new larger airplanes.
Officials will present their environmental plans for the reconfigured airport and ask for comments from the public during the meeting. The meeting is scheduled to take place at the Proud Bird Restaurant, located at 11022 Aviation Boulevard in Westchester around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
Comments made at the meeting will be forwarded to the Los Angeles Planning Commission and eventually, the City Council, as they consider the plan.
CNS contributed to this report.
CORRECTION: The meeting was initally reported to take place on Thursday. The meeting is scheduled to be held at the Proud Bird Restaurant around 6:30 p.m. Tuesday.
los angeles international airport, los angeles news
- Los Angeles mayoral race: Eric Garcetti wins 10 min ago
- Search for Oklahoma survivors almost complete
- Prop D, limit on pot shops in LA, passes
- 'DWTS' season finale: New champion crowned
- LA city attorney race: Mike Feuer wins 11 min ago
- Ron Galperin wins LA city controller race
- Huffing suspected in college student's death
- Immigration bill approved by Senate committee
- Jodi Arias jury sentencing deliberations begin
- abcnews: Boston bombing probe heads to Russia
- Bin Laden photos: Court sides with US govt
- Kings lose to Sharks 2-1, series tied 2-2
- MJ wrongful death trial: Damaging emails surface
- Photos: 'Dancing With The Stars' week 10