Los Angeles News
Santa Clarita Valley burglary suspect captured in cellphone photo
SANTA CLARITA VALLEY, Calif. (KABC) -- Authorities are asking for the public's help to identify a "hot prowl" burglary suspect in the Santa Clarita Valley.
A cellphone photo taken by a victim could be the key in solving the case. Officials said the photo shows one of two men who broke into a house on the 26100 block of Quartz Meza Lane last Thursday afternoon while a woman was home.
According to investigators, the woman heard footsteps, ran downstairs and chased the suspects outside. One of them had taken her purse but she ripped it away. The woman attempted to take a photo of the suspects' license plate, but one of the men covered it up. She was able to snap a picture of one suspect standing next to the car, a white 1992 to 1995 Lexus LS 400.
"As the suspect lunged towards the female victim she inadvertently snapped a photograph, a very good photograph, of his entire body including his vehicle and his face," said Deputy Josh Dubin with the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department.
The suspect in the photo was described as a Hispanic man, about 6 feet tall with dark brown hair and a moustache. The second suspect was described as a Hispanic man, about 5 feet 8 inches tall, wearing black jeans and a black jacket.
Police said they are investigating another "hot prowl" burglary that took place Monday morning. They said the description of the two suspects in the latest incident matched the first crime, and it occurred less than a mile away on the 25100 block of Sage Crest Circle.
The two men tried knocking on the front door, and when no one answered, they tried to enter the home through the back door. The homeowner, a woman who was there alone, scared them away.
Anyone with information was asked to call the Santa Clarita Valley Sheriff's Station. Anonymous calls can be made to Los Angeles Regional Crime Stoppers at (800) 222-TIPS.
burglary, los angeles news
- Fallbrook bus crash: 1 dead, several injured 28 min ago
- Tour bus overturns on 15 Freeway in Corona 16 min ago
- London theater partial collapse; 75+ hurt
- Kelly Thomas trial: Cause of death revisited
- Moorpark High closed after threatening note
- School hacking: Tutor wanted for questioning
- Kate Middleton phone messages read in court
- 4.6-magnitude Mexico quake felt in SoCal 34 min ago
- abcnews: Missing medical resident's car found
- Report finds bacteria on 97 percent of chicken
- Local woman receives seizure-treating implant
- Kobe Bryant injured again, will miss 6 weeks
- Farrah Fawcett portrait belongs to O'Neal
- OTRC: Kristen Johnston diagnosed w/ Lupus Myelitis