Los Angeles News
Los Angeles mayor race intensifies as March approaches
DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- This race for Los Angeles mayor is getting increasingly nasty as the March election gets closer.
The campaign for City Controller Wendy Greuel is comparing Kevin James, a former assistant U.S. attorney and radio talk show host, to Rush Limbaugh. Meanwhile, James is asking for an investigation into whether Greuel has violated the law.
"Ms. Greuel, who has obviously through her calendar, has demonstrated that she's using her controller's office as a front for her mayoral campaign," James said.
James was citing reporting by the Los Cerritos Community News. The site obtained the public schedule of Greuel after five months of Freedom of Information Act requests.
"These meetings after meetings after meetings that don't appear to be related to anything that the chief accounting officer of the city of Los Angeles would be doing," James said.
He also accuses Greuel's staff of ethics code violations.
"Controller staff are doing work in campaign-related events," he said.
Greuel denies the allegations.
"If they chose after work to go to an event with me or support me, I welcome that and thank them for their volunteering to help me out," she said.
Greuel said James' accusations are desperate and not legitimate.
"I'm doing everyday coming to work to be able to perform my duties and I'm also talking to the residents of Los Angeles and sometimes those interconnect," she said.
Last week, Greuel subpoenaed three cellphone companies for failing to provide records of cellphones used at City Hall. At the time, a spokesman for fellow mayoral candidate and Councilman Eric Garcetti called Greuel a "press release controller."
Greuel's spokesman said Garcetti was "asleep" as council president when millions were wasted.
los angeles news, elex michaelson
- Nursing home shooting murder: Brother arrested 11 min ago
- Ex-con allegedly attacked 2 relatives, friend
- Santa Ana jewelry store robbery caught on cam
- Pope Francis named Time's Person of the Year
- Kaiser Permanente missing info on 49K patients
- 80 pot plants found growing in sign-making biz 3 min ago
- IE student arrested in school vandalism case
- Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Senator's aide arrested on child porn charges 5 min ago
- abcnews: Bernie Madoff's 7 biggest lies 7 min ago
- Nelson Mandela mourners pay last respects
- House GOP signal support for budget deal
- Paul Walker crash: 2nd theft suspect surrenders
- OTRC: Jason Clarke in talks for 'Terminator' reboot