Los Angeles News
Suspects shoot at deputies with AK-47 during pursuit in Compton
COMPTON, Calif. (KABC) -- Two suspects believed to be connected to a shooting were arrested after leading deputies in a pursuit in Compton on Tuesday night. Officials said the suspect shot at pursuing deputies with an AK-47 assault rifle.
The incident began when Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies heard the sound of gunfire just before 6 p.m. near Long Beach Boulevard and Oaks Street. When they arrived to the scene, they found a wounded victim and spotted the two suspects with an assault weapon in a car. Their condition was not known.
During the pursuit, deputies said one of the suspects opened fire with an AK-47. The deputies were not struck.
After a short chase, the suspect with the rifle got off the car and briefly barricaded himself inside a home before being captured. The other suspect drove off and slammed into a white car driven by an innocent motorist at the intersection of Alameda and Elm streets. The second suspect was captured after crashing about a block away.
The condition of the innocent driver was not known.
The incident comes as the national debate over gun control continues. The city of Los Angeles recently held a gun buyback to get weapons like the AK-47 in this case off the streets.
"Dealing with those high-caliber weapons is something that we don't want our deputies to encounter, but thankfully in this case our deputies used not only their training but they used their instincts," said sheriff's Capt. Joe Gooden.
Sheriff Lee Baca will hold a previously scheduled news conference Wednesday to discuss crime in Los Angeles County. He's expected to address this incident and the issue with assault rifles.
shooting, deputy-involved shooting, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news, amy powell
- Overturned big rig shuts lanes on 91 East
- Men w/ stolen passports on jet 'not terrorists' 38 min ago
- Prosecutor: OC couple's murder not about money
- Suspect arrested in Hollywood severed head case
- Remains of Hollywood Park racehorse exhumed
- Montclair hit-run kills woman, injures teen
- Amber Alert canceled; LB boy found safe
- Man found dead in ransacked Westmont home
- Sandy Hook gunman's father breaks silence
- abcnews: Convicted murderer of 7 awarded nearly $500K
- Colorado collects $2M in recreational pot taxes
- Parents distracted by devices, study says
- Justin Bieber gets mad in deposition video
- Photos: 'Bachelor' Juan Pablo kisses 5 contestants