Los Angeles News
Body found in ravine identified as missing Santa Clarita woman
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- Authorities have identified a body found in a ravine in the Angeles National Forest as that of a missing Santa Clarita woman.
A car and body were found deep in a ravine off Sand Canyon Road on Wednesday morning. Sheriff's spokesman Steve Whitmore had earlier confirmed that the car was registered to Sarah Alarid. The body was approximately 300 yards from the vehicle.
Alarid, 19, was last seen on New Year's Day between 3 a.m. and 3:30 a.m. leaving a party on Poppy Meadow Street in the Shadow Pines area of Canyon Country, Santa Clarita. Authorities said she reportedly left alone in her car after arguing with a former boyfriend.
Search-and-rescue teams inched their way down the steep ravine to get to the mangled Ford Focus and Alarid's body.
Authorities say it appears that Alarid's car careened down Sand Canyon Road, and then crashed into a ravine hundreds of feet below.
"All indications are that it is a traffic collision, but we're still investigating," said Lt. Dave Dolson. "It looks like she had been ejected from the vehicle."
Many in the community gathered Wednesday night for a candle light vigil in Alarid's honor.
"You could never have a better best friend, I love you Sarah," said her best friend, Jordan Carrico.
A rescue helicopter that was headed to a separate crime scene spotted the wreckage at about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday.
missing person, los angeles county sheriff's department, los angeles news
- LAX shooting suspect appears in IE court 41 min ago
- Paul Walker autopsy results released
- Newtown dispatcher told callers to take cover
- Cold front moves across Southern California
- 405 South crash: 11 hurt in 8-vehicle pileup
- Indio High student diagnosed with tuberculosis 5 min ago
- Baldwin Village fire likely sparked by candle
- Abducted Palmdale children found safe 21 min ago
- NY train engineer in 'daze' just before crash
- Mexican truck with radioactive load stolen
- abcnews: Mysterious stillbirths baffle doctors 6 min ago
- NFL fines Steelers coach Mike Tomlin $100,000 54 min ago
- 'Curb Appeal' co-host killed in SF crash
- OTRC: Gal Gadot cast as Wonder Woman in new film