Los Angeles News
Man arrested, allegedly made threats to children on Facebook
PORTER RANCH, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A Porter Ranch man is in custody Thursday night, accused of threatening children on Facebook. He allegedly warned that the school shooting in Connecticut could be repeated.
The Facebook posting of an alleged terrorist threat went up Tuesday. Law enforcement wasted no time coming to the suspect's home.
The Facebook post is ominous and has misspellings: "Newtown is just the begging of the attacks ...... more kids must be killed if anyone watched the bin laden movie will be shot at site.... this is a final warring to all Americans."
The account belongs to Akbar Baraki. The page is full of unusual postings, including one that says, "Osama bin Laden is alive and living well in Pakistan."
Baraki lives in a home in Porter Ranch. Baraki's father said his son is ill, but not a terrorist.
"He's not normal. What can he do? He has no money, he has no car, he has no nothing. But he is going to kill children?" said his father, who would not go on camera.
Baraki was arrested for a probation violation. Investigators say they found two air rifles inside the home, which violates the terms of his probation for a previous drug charge. He is being held without bail.
Residents in the quiet neighborhood are stunned.
"With everything that is going on right now, everything that we hear, and to be across the street, [it's] very, very scary," said neighbor Dory Kulwin, who was present when Baraki was arrested.
One neighbor said he does not think Baraki is a terrorist.
"He is probably just messed up in the mind. He looked normal to me," said neighbor Jerry Demirci.
facebook, arrest, los angeles news
- Blind man falls on tracks, survives train
- Temple City man denies creating Bitcoin
- IE cross memorial removed after complaints
- OC man arrested for pot brownie sales to kids
- Oxnard hit-and-run victim in critical condition
- CSULB researchers launch 'Kelp Watch 2014'
- Dodger lot beating: federal gun indictments
- Drunk gambler sues LV casino following loss
- Baby rescued on FL freeway home from hospital
- Obama: West won't let Kremlin carve up Ukraine
- abcnews: Charges filed in missing nursing student case
- Factors that may lead to Alzheimer's disease
- Justin Bieber's urine test video released
- OTRC: Angelina Jolie talks 'Maleficent,' daughter