Los Angeles News
Man sentenced in murder of Silver Lake pizza deliveryman
SILVER LAKE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 19-year-old alleged gang member has been sentenced to more than 77 years to life in prison for the 2011 shooting death of a Silver Lake pizza deliveryman.
Judge Clifford Klein called the murder of 25-year-old Juan Vasquez "a callous killing.
Jose Beltran was convicted in September for the second-degree murder of Vasquez and the attempted murder of two of his friends. Vasquez was driving two coworkers home from work when he was shot in the head in the 1400 block of Silver Lake Boulevard at about 5 a.m. on Aug. 7, 2011.
Three people addressed the judge before sentencing, including the two men who were in the car at the time of the shooting.
"His mother has so much pain," said Luis Lopez, who spoke through a Spanish interpreter. "(Beltran) should be locked up."
silver lake, shooting, car crash, lapd, los angeles news
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- Woman gives $500 to friend who's a single mom
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- Helicopter gunships used in MX resort battle
- abcnews: One of Van Gogh's last paintings unveiled
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Jewelry shopping tips: How to avoid rip-offs
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: Beyonce kisses Madonna's daughter (Photo)