Los Angeles News
Man sentenced in murder of Silver Lake pizza deliveryman
SILVER LAKE, LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A 19-year-old alleged gang member has been sentenced to more than 77 years to life in prison for the 2011 shooting death of a Silver Lake pizza deliveryman.
Judge Clifford Klein called the murder of 25-year-old Juan Vasquez "a callous killing.
Jose Beltran was convicted in September for the second-degree murder of Vasquez and the attempted murder of two of his friends. Vasquez was driving two coworkers home from work when he was shot in the head in the 1400 block of Silver Lake Boulevard at about 5 a.m. on Aug. 7, 2011.
Three people addressed the judge before sentencing, including the two men who were in the car at the time of the shooting.
"His mother has so much pain," said Luis Lopez, who spoke through a Spanish interpreter. "(Beltran) should be locked up."
silver lake, shooting, car crash, lapd, los angeles news
- Gunman at large in East LA party shooting 30 min ago
- Drug boat washes ashore in Manhattan Beach 6 min ago
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- OC teen to be tried as adult in dad beating
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- abcnews: WWII medals back after mistaken donation
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Vin Diesel denies steroids use (Video)