Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man shot by cops inside LA market
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A knife-wielding man was shot and wounded inside a market in Los Angeles, just south of the 10 Freeway, on Friday.
Authorities responded to a call of a man causing a disturbance at Advance Food Market in the 5400 block of West Adams Boulevard just before 8 a.m. According to witnesses and police, the suspect walked into the store with a young boy.
Francisco Roque says he was a couple of feet away from the man who was shot by police. He says the suspect was upset about something and that he had a knife. Roque says two officers confronted the man inside the store. The officers shot him twice with a Taser, but the man didn't seem to be affected, Roque said.
Roque said he saw the suspect lunge at officers, going for one of their guns, and that's when one of the officers shot at the suspect.
The 52-year-old suspect was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. His name has not been released.
A police spokesperson could not confirm what the witness said because detectives are still interviewing the officers involved in the shooting.
The boy is now in protective custody. It was unclear what his relationship was to the suspect. Police say no one else was injured in the incident.
shooting, lapd, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Mandela death: So. Africa prepares for burial 2 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added 33 min ago
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- Help Garth stuff busses full of toys in Ontario
- Los Angeles Co. social workers go on strike
- IE domestic-violence murder suspect at large
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow
- 4 local brothers are all members of LAPD
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- US teacher shot dead in Libya's Benghazi
- abcnews: Teen saved after swallowing magnets
- 2015 Ford Mustang still has plenty of muscle
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Keri Russell, husband Shane Deary separate