Los Angeles News
Knife-wielding man shot by cops inside LA market
LOS ANGELES (KABC) -- A knife-wielding man was shot and wounded inside a market in Los Angeles, just south of the 10 Freeway, on Friday.
Authorities responded to a call of a man causing a disturbance at Advance Food Market in the 5400 block of West Adams Boulevard just before 8 a.m. According to witnesses and police, the suspect walked into the store with a young boy.
Francisco Roque says he was a couple of feet away from the man who was shot by police. He says the suspect was upset about something and that he had a knife. Roque says two officers confronted the man inside the store. The officers shot him twice with a Taser, but the man didn't seem to be affected, Roque said.
Roque said he saw the suspect lunge at officers, going for one of their guns, and that's when one of the officers shot at the suspect.
The 52-year-old suspect was taken to a local hospital in critical condition. His name has not been released.
A police spokesperson could not confirm what the witness said because detectives are still interviewing the officers involved in the shooting.
The boy is now in protective custody. It was unclear what his relationship was to the suspect. Police say no one else was injured in the incident.
shooting, lapd, officer-involved shooting, los angeles news, sid garcia
- Compton teachers call in sick, want pay raise
- Bizarre East LA bank robbery trial begins 14 min ago
- Roommate arrested in Westmont homicide
- Missing jetliner made it to Malacca Strait 14 min ago
- Coach pleads no contest to molesting girls 45 min ago
- Missing hiker rescued in Santa Clarita canyon
- LAPD crash: Funeral services announced 16 min ago
- Portion of 405 South to close for 2 nights
- 5 measles cases in Orange County confirmed
- CVS allegedly lost track of 37K painkillers
- Colorado triple homicide: Friend arrested 38 min ago
- abcnews: Family calls 911, held hostage by pet cat
- Obama pushes health care on Funny or Die
- OTRC: Keith Richards releasing children's book