Los Angeles News
Man shot in Montebello after allegedly shooting mother
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- An armed man was shot by police in Montebello on Friday after he allegedly shot his mother and ran onto a school campus.
Police responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon call to the 300 block of Wilber Place around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, they discovered a female victim had been shot by her son.
The woman was transported to the hospital in critical condition as officers searched for her son.
The 24-year-old suspect was spotted about two hours later, and after a pursuit, he got out of a car in the 800 block of North Garfield Avenue and ran onto Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Church School. The Catholic school was put on lockdown as the suspect exchanged gunfire with officers.
"The suspect exited from the passenger side of the vehicle with a shotgun, this is when the first officer-involved shooting occurred," Deputy Don Walker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. "The suspect then ran onto the school property. While on the school grounds, a second and third officer-involved shooting occurred."
The suspect was taken into custody with a non-life threatening wound. No officers were hurt.
Kids at an after school event were on a different part of the school grounds. They were evacuated by bus and reunited with parents.
A pump action shotgun was recovered at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
officer-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Ambulance crash: 3 injured in Signal Hill 17 min ago
- DUI driver slams car into LA home; girl dead
- 2 nurses stabbed in separate hospital attacks
- Teen survives CA to HI flight in wheel well
- Alleged arsonist sets fire in Hollywood 15 min ago
- LAPD officer hurt in Northridge 4-car crash
- Oxnard pedestrian hit at intersection, dies
- Bus crash: Driver remembered as a 'hero'
- Drone in Yemen kills 9 al Qaeda members
- SKorea ferry accident death toll at 58
- abcnews: Car bursts into flames in lion habitat
- Kevin Sharp, country singer, dies at age 43
- 'Capt. America' tops box office for 3rd week
- OTRC: Kate Mara on 'Transcendence,' terrorist role