Los Angeles News
Man shot in Montebello after allegedly shooting mother
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- An armed man was shot by police in Montebello on Friday after he allegedly shot his mother and ran onto a school campus.
Police responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon call to the 300 block of Wilber Place around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, they discovered a female victim had been shot by her son.
The woman was transported to the hospital in critical condition as officers searched for her son.
The 24-year-old suspect was spotted about two hours later, and after a pursuit, he got out of a car in the 800 block of North Garfield Avenue and ran onto Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Church School. The Catholic school was put on lockdown as the suspect exchanged gunfire with officers.
"The suspect exited from the passenger side of the vehicle with a shotgun, this is when the first officer-involved shooting occurred," Deputy Don Walker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. "The suspect then ran onto the school property. While on the school grounds, a second and third officer-involved shooting occurred."
The suspect was taken into custody with a non-life threatening wound. No officers were hurt.
Kids at an after school event were on a different part of the school grounds. They were evacuated by bus and reunited with parents.
A pump action shotgun was recovered at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
officer-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Hollywood burglary suspects caught on camera
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Venice boardwalk crash victims recount ordeal
- East LA coach charged with molesting 2 teens
- LAX suspect indicted on 1st-degree murder
- Yellowstone supervolcano bigger than thought
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- Reporter rejects Toronto mayor's apology
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- abcnews: Father, daughter recreate wedding photos
- Timberlake helps fan propose to girlfriend
- Photos: Meryl Streep, Julia Roberts at 'August' debut