Los Angeles News
Man shot in Montebello after allegedly shooting mother
MONTEBELLO, Calif. (KABC) -- An armed man was shot by police in Montebello on Friday after he allegedly shot his mother and ran onto a school campus.
Police responded to a report of an assault with a deadly weapon call to the 300 block of Wilber Place around 3 p.m. When officers arrived, they discovered a female victim had been shot by her son.
The woman was transported to the hospital in critical condition as officers searched for her son.
The 24-year-old suspect was spotted about two hours later, and after a pursuit, he got out of a car in the 800 block of North Garfield Avenue and ran onto Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal Church School. The Catholic school was put on lockdown as the suspect exchanged gunfire with officers.
"The suspect exited from the passenger side of the vehicle with a shotgun, this is when the first officer-involved shooting occurred," Deputy Don Walker of the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department said. "The suspect then ran onto the school property. While on the school grounds, a second and third officer-involved shooting occurred."
The suspect was taken into custody with a non-life threatening wound. No officers were hurt.
Kids at an after school event were on a different part of the school grounds. They were evacuated by bus and reunited with parents.
A pump action shotgun was recovered at the scene.
The investigation is ongoing.
officer-involved shooting, los angeles news
- Shoppers flock to stores for last-minute gifts 15 min ago
- Reseda shooting: 1 dead, 1 injured, 1 arrested
- Tour bus crash in Corona: 91-yr-old man dies
- NASA astronauts begin spacewalking repairs
- Pope's message to end hunger hits home in IE
- Slain chase suspect's family files $20M claim
- Fallbrook tour bus crash: Victim identified
- Judge orders hospital to keep girl on support
- abcnews: Army's new weapon can shoot down drones
- US military aircraft hit in S. Sudan, 4 hurt
- Target probe focuses on processing centers
- San Jose company recalls sausage products
- Ned Vizzini, popular author, dies at age 32
- OTRC: 13 Best TV Shows of 2013 (with spoilers)
- Latest weather with Bri Winkler
55 min ago