Los Angeles News
Police respond to fiery Motel 6 standoff in Inglewood
INGLEWOOD (KABC) -- A man is in a psychiatric ward following a standoff inside a Motel 6 in Inglewood, according to officials.
The unidentified man in his late 30s was arrested Saturday.
Authorities said officers were called to a Motel 6 located in the 5100 block of Century Boulevard around 10 p.m. Friday after guests reported loud banging coming from a room in an upper floor.
When police arrived, officers said the mentally unstable man set the room on fire, and then climbed down some balconies to the second floor, where he threatened to hurt himself with a knife.
He surrendered to police about two hours later.
Guests were evacuated from the hotel as Los Angeles County Fire Department crews put out the fire, which had activated the hotel's sprinkler system.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in his room before it spread.
No one was hurt.
City News Service contributed to this story.
lapd, standoff, arrest, los angeles news
- Nelson Mandela's legacy honored around world 2 min ago
- New cold front to bring chance of rain, snow 47 min ago
- Unemployment falls to 7 pct, 203K jobs added
- Help Garth stuff buses full of toys in Ontario 15 min ago
- Suspect injured in El Monte police shooting
- Joseph Gatto's stolen jewelry pieces sought
- Missing Pasadena City College hiker found
- Girl killed while walking in IE crosswalk
- UCSB meningitis: Student's legs amputated
- abcnews: Brutal elevator attack shocks Chinese city
- World Cup 2014: US to play Ghana, Portugal, Germany
- McDonald's accidentally gives cash to couple
- Man arrested in Paul Walker wreckage theft
- OTRC: Kelly Clarkson talks baby names (Video)