Los Angeles News
Police respond to fiery Motel 6 standoff in Inglewood
INGLEWOOD (KABC) -- A man is in a psychiatric ward following a standoff inside a Motel 6 in Inglewood, according to officials.
The unidentified man in his late 30s was arrested Saturday.
Authorities said officers were called to a Motel 6 located in the 5100 block of Century Boulevard around 10 p.m. Friday after guests reported loud banging coming from a room in an upper floor.
When police arrived, officers said the mentally unstable man set the room on fire, and then climbed down some balconies to the second floor, where he threatened to hurt himself with a knife.
He surrendered to police about two hours later.
Guests were evacuated from the hotel as Los Angeles County Fire Department crews put out the fire, which had activated the hotel's sprinkler system.
Firefighters were able to extinguish the fire in his room before it spread.
No one was hurt.
City News Service contributed to this story.
lapd, standoff, arrest, los angeles news
- 2 LB suspects accused of human trafficking
- Anaheim begins closing marijuana dispensaries
- Odor forces evacuation of Pasadena building
- Memorial Day: Gas prices aren't stopping drivers
- Palmdale boy dies after allegedly being tortured
- Are bridges in Southern California safe?
- LA attempted murder suspect caught in Colo.
- Committee approves dental care to Medi-Cal
- Truck in bridge collapse had permit to cross
- UK-bound Pakistan plane diverted; 2 arrested
- abcnews: New clues to 'frustrated' Boston suspect
- New flu vaccine made from tobacco plant in works
- 'The Rock' returns for 'Fast & Furious 6'
- OTRC: Leonardo DiCaprio space trip nabs $1.5 mill