Los Angeles News
Mom arrested for allegedly taking part in daughter's fight with 12-year-old girl
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Pedro woman was arrested for allegedly taking part in her daughter's fight with another girl.
Amber Lee Gutierrez, 33, has been charged with felony corporal injury to a child. Police say her daughter arranged a fight with Teah LaGranda, a classmate from Dana Middle School, on Jan. 14, which is LaGranda's birthday.
They met in an alley after school. The girl brought Gutierrez and a woman who authorities believe is the girl's aunt. Authorities said all three assaulted the 12-year-old victim.
"At first she didn't care that she was hurting a little kid, she just wanted to defend her daughter," LaGranda said.
Police say LaGranda sustained a fractured wrist in the fight.
Gutierrez was arraigned Thursday afternoon. Her attorney declined to comment. Investigators are still looking for the aunt and Gutierrez's daughter.
If convicted, Gutierrez faces a possible maximum seven years in state prison.
LaGranda says the incident has taught her to make better choices about resolving conflicts in the future.
"I learned my lesson not to fight anymore," she said. "Violence is never the answer."
fight, caught on tape, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Mulholland Bridge over I-405 finally opens
- South LA grandmother found dead in apartment
- Venice beating caught on cam; suspects sought
- Baca acknowledges deputy hiring issues
- Motorcycle officer injured in Mid-City crash
- Woman shot to death in Long Beach; no arrests
- Proposed power plant splits Palmdale, Lancaster
- Man kills himself, 1 other at Reno hospital
- abcnews: Pope delivers Christmas message to serve poor
- MoneyGram scam victims receive refund checks
- Colorado school shooter wrote plan on arm
- India diplomat claims cavity search in NYC 22 min ago
- Video: 'American Hustle' takes you back to the '70s
- Photos: Brad Pitt over the years, 1991 to present 20 min ago