Los Angeles News
Mom arrested for allegedly taking part in daughter's fight with 12-year-old girl
SAN PEDRO, Calif. (KABC) -- A San Pedro woman was arrested for allegedly taking part in her daughter's fight with another girl.
Amber Lee Gutierrez, 33, has been charged with felony corporal injury to a child. Police say her daughter arranged a fight with Teah LaGranda, a classmate from Dana Middle School, on Jan. 14, which is LaGranda's birthday.
They met in an alley after school. The girl brought Gutierrez and a woman who authorities believe is the girl's aunt. Authorities said all three assaulted the 12-year-old victim.
"At first she didn't care that she was hurting a little kid, she just wanted to defend her daughter," LaGranda said.
Police say LaGranda sustained a fractured wrist in the fight.
Gutierrez was arraigned Thursday afternoon. Her attorney declined to comment. Investigators are still looking for the aunt and Gutierrez's daughter.
If convicted, Gutierrez faces a possible maximum seven years in state prison.
LaGranda says the incident has taught her to make better choices about resolving conflicts in the future.
"I learned my lesson not to fight anymore," she said. "Violence is never the answer."
fight, caught on tape, los angeles news, rudabeh shahbazi
- Pedestrians fatally struck in Norwalk ID'd
- Compton shootings leave 2 dead within hours
- Stage collapses at OC high school; 25 injured
- Malaysia missing jet: Door possibly found
- Hiker becomes ill, dies at Runyon Canyon Park 3 min ago
- 2 LAPD officers injured in West L.A. crash
- 3 attacked by bees in La Canada Flintridge 45 min ago
- Dana Point shooting suspect sought by deputies 43 min ago
- State oversight may tame California pot shops 33 min ago
- Car bomb attack kills at least 42 in Iraq
- abcnews: Ex-FBI agent in captivity for 7 years
- Ukraine won't budge '1 centimeter' from land
- '300' sequel rules box office w/ $45.1M debut
- Photos: 'Revenge's Emily VanCamp: 15 Sexiest Looks